Soon To Be Released - Fish Diary V1.0

trojannemo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Mods move this to the appropriate board if this is not it. The only other one even close was the Computer Zone under hobbies, but this program is intended for fish keeping :unsure:

For the past 4 months I have worked hundreds of hours creating a program for those of us who obsess just a little bit with our fish. The program originally was intended to, as the name suggests, be a place for you to keep a diary or log of your tank(s). With time it's evolved into a much more complex application where you can not only keep a log, but you can keep track of every fish, plant, and equipment piece found in each one of your tanks.

The program itself is already finished. The website is currently being re-done (www.keepitfishy.com) and I’m just gathering the last of the information that will also come included with the program (such as list of fish specs, plants, corals etc, collected from several online sources).
I hope to be able to release it by the end of the month.

While we haven't set a final price yet, we will probably be offering it at a very reasonable price, since we don’t intend to get rich from this or anything. I just need the program to at least pay for itself in the way of hosting and domain name costs and stuff like that.

for testing purposes, and to get the word out, I will be issuing 5 complimentary registration keys to the first 5 members to request one ON THIS THREAD to make sure it is clear how many people have asked for them already. Only 5 will be given out per forum!

all I ask of these 5 people is that you do not share your keys (they will be unique to each one of you, so I will always be able to track "sharing"), that you give me as much feedback (whether good or bad) as possible and lastly, that you share the word! If you think it's useful, let others know. it is being priced so low so everyone can afford it :good:

Here is a (rough) list of the features found in v1.0 of Fish Diary:
- Tank Editor
- here you can keep track of all your fish tank and their specs, including water type, size, contents, etc
- the program will automatically detect amount of fish and plants, or you can manually edit the number (like me, i have 6 neons all named "shiny", so...)
- if you have pictures of your tanks loaded, you can view them using PicViewer 1.0 (also my "creation" :sick: )
- Fish/Plant/Equipment Catalogs
- these are three independent sections of the program where you keep track of your fish, plants and equipment (no really?! :blush: )
- it's kind of difficult to explain in words, but it allows you to keep track of every fish's specific water parameters, behavior, age in your tank, common and scientific names (which will be pre-loaded for you if you want, or you can enter manually) as well as having the option to include a picture for every fish/plant/equipment
- kinda obvious but you can add, delete or move the fish/plant/equipment within these forms. i personally think the option of moving the fish or plants from one aquarium to another while maintaining all the information was great...i love it!
- Log
- This is obviously the original idea of the program. here you can keep track of anything you do to the tank. whenever you have a new entry just click on "new entry" and the program will enter today's date and separate last entry for you.
- the log is searchable (pressing control f) so if you need to refer to ammonia levels in the past or something just search for it (if like me you have several months worth of daily logging)
- Reminder Manager
- This was my fiancee's idea! so she gets props for that. Here you can, as the name implies, create, edit and delete reminders. this way you will never forget to change your fish's water, or if you're treating for disease, you won't forget to medicate, etc.
- reminder works in the form of a small screen that will vibrate on your monitor's screen, with the option to play a sound file as well. this will happen 4 times in a 2 minute period to get your attention, after which the screen will remain open waiting for input from the user but will stop playing sound and vibrating (to avoid getting over-annoying!)
- you can also just click on "Later" and be reminded 30 minutes later :)

there are other features but i think this is long enough as it is for now. are you even mildly interested? then get a key. it wont cost ya a thing (if you're one of the first 5 that is! :rolleyes: ) and you can love it or just say it sucks....if enough people say it sucks then i'll stop wasting my time programming every night until i fall asleep on the keyboard :unsure: ...or if enough people love it then I can dedicate even more time and resources to make the program even better and more useful!

so here we go, is anyone interested in a complimentary key to Fish Diary v1.0? Please post here if you are interested. i will contact you afterwards :good:

whether you get a free key, a paid one, or none, i'll tell ya this: i believe in my product because i use it everyday. it's been extremely helpful to myself and that was one of the many reasons that led me and my "team" (really my fiancee!) to try to make this available to all of you out there :good:

damn it! always to late for the good stuff!!

Ah well, i registered on your forum so will keep an eye on this :good:

damn it! always to late for the good stuff!!

Ah well, i registered on your forum so will keep an eye on this :good:

you did? how'd you find it? i haven't even been to it yet! oh well, i'll have to check it up later.

for those of you who asked for a key, the first five (just count yourselves) please send me a private message here so we can communicate further...i just dont want to post my email here and have some bot get ahold of it...

tylerferretlord, the trojan in my name comes from my high school mascot....apparently they didnt know that the Trojans lost the Trojan War :unsure: ideally I would have used Nemo, which is the nickname i go by, but since on some forums it's been taken, i opted to use trojannemo all over the place and so in most forums you find that name, it's me :good:

huh? if that means what am i using to write it in, Visual BASIC 6.

i've studied Visual BASIC 6, Visual BASIC 2005, C++ and Java, and since I find VB6 so much more fun, that's what I usually use. i've been programming for myself for about 5 years now, never released anything to the public. same thing with this program, i was making it for myself originally but then as i mentioned, it was suggested that i should make it available to other people.

yes i've spent over 300 hours programming, all from scratch...all the photoshop work was also done by me, all from scratch using a theme I've always liked from my photography website (www.yaphoto.com). because i've done it all, it seems like a huge program :blush: :good:

EDIT: i've only gotten two PMs so far, there are 3 more people needing to pm me if you want a key! please let me know if you no longer want a key as there are others who do!

everyone who's pm'ed me i have already e-mailed you your keys.
i will contact you again, hopefully tonight, with the download link to the program.

in the meantime, and for those of you who don't know if you like the idea or not, i made a video of me using the program so you can have an idea what it'll be like.
a working demo will also be released soon (tonight? this weekend?)

here's the video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoy-RBYX7CA

and if you have fast internet, you may download the "higher" quality version from here:
right-click save as

keep in mind that the video proportions are weird due to my screen res at home as well as the super fast speed, that's not me it's the fact that the video was not recorded at 30FPS and then the encoder put it at 30FPS NTSC, so it sped it up...anyways it made a 9 min video into 5-something minutes :blink:

enjoy?

Most reactions

Back