Something You Don't See Everyday

wolfwolf

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I think I have a problem. I noticed my krib with a long stringy substance hanging out of his mouth. I managed to catch him in a net and my son (I'm scared to touch fish) pulled the silicone out of the fishes mouth. It appeared as though either the fish did not want to let go or it was stuck in his guts. Anyway it turned out to be a string of silicone. The fish must have been eating at the tank glass and somehow pull at a little bit of the sealant.

The fish is hiding under a peice of driftwood now. His color is completely gone. It is unknown if I got all of the silicone out. I fear that he will die from a blockage. Gotta be hard to pass silicone...

Any ideas to help him? Peas??? Melafix???

Could try peas to flush it through.
Not sure what you can do t as it a first I've seen a fish eating tank silicone.
Hows his breathing.
Can you issolate him. Maybe try and internal bacteria med .

If he's not eating you can put a drop of cod liver oil in his mouth but you can't feed the fish for 2 days.

I had this with my black molly a couple of days ago. I just pulled it out carefully, mine was a bit shaken at first but then she was fine. HOWEVER mine now has them white plodge's so I have to get rid of her before she infects the others.

Don't think the silicone will be toxic, then again not sure. Could be a blockage like you say.

Well the fish has his color back today. He appears to be breathing and swimming normally. I'm going to keep a close eye and try some peas to see if he eats. Hopefully he will be okay.

Well the fish has his color back today. He appears to be breathing and swimming normally. I'm going to keep a close eye and try some peas to see if he eats. Hopefully he will be okay.

awww bless him :wub: sounds like he was stressed then and now calmed down again
must have been like having some super chewy toffee in his mouth

Glad to hear he's doing better. My mbuna used to pick at the silicone when they were bored, and I've heard of larger fish eating the it. The silicone itself won't hurt them as long as they don't eat enough to block their intestines, but the next time you clean your tank, look over it carefully for any loose silicone the fish might mistake for food. :good:

Glad he looks better.
I would still feed the peas.

Most reactions

Back