Something I noticed this morning… pleco’s that chew on wood… raise their own water tannin levels…

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
It might be one of those “duh” moments, but I didn’t know, when I bought my 1st King Tiger pleco’s, that they liked to chew on wood… I have had wood eating pleco’s before, and they had very visible teeth, and the King Tigers, have the typical bristle teeth… but that tank has polished river rock on the bottom, and with 5 King Tigers, there is a constant supply of wood shavings on the bottom… for a long time I assumed this was fish waste… but I’ve come to realize, that it’s actually shavings from one of the pieces of driftwood… even though I only add RO water, this tank always remains a light tea color… the rest of the fish in this tank are all darker water fish, and seem to like it… so, while they aren’t cleaning my glass for me, they are conditioning my water, so I don’t have to add anything to the water to get some tannins…

I do add an almond leaf every once in a while, just because I have a bundle, and add them to a couple other tanks, but the water remains tea colored, between leaves, in the king Tiger tank…

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back