Some Questions About Ph

well a good idea actually would be to bring the one tanks ph slowly down to 7.0 and the old ones up to 7.0 slowly. Since there are now fish in both. This is a nice happy medium and it reduces any chance of stress and gets the job done. I would never ever use rainwater. It ofton contain flouro carbons and other deadly carbon compounds from factories and smog. Unless of course you live no where near cities. Otherwise stick with a ph decreaser and increaser.

well a good idea actually would be to bring the one tanks ph slowly down to 7.0 and the old ones up to 7.0 slowly. Since there are now fish in both. This is a nice happy medium and it reduces any chance of stress and gets the job done. I would never ever use rainwater. It ofton contain flouro carbons and other deadly carbon compounds from factories and smog. Unless of course you live no where near cities. Otherwise stick with a ph decreaser and increaser.

Ok. Will do. Should I transfer my fish back in their old fish tank? my severum has been in the new water only for an hour. He seems quite stressed: he was very light green with barely visible stripes, and now his stripes are dark grey, almost black.

The other fish behave normally.

No doing so will just stress him two times more. Just very slowly bring the ph's to the same level, around 7.0 and then start transfering fish. All you can do is let him be right now, and let him relax and try to adapt to the different ph and fresher water.

No doing so will just stress him two times more. Just very slowly bring the ph's to the same level, around 7.0 and then start transfering fish. All you can do is let him be right now, and let him relax and try to adapt to the different ph and fresher water.

Thought so.

Thanks for the advice! I'll follow it. :good:

These are all in our experiances. Other things work differently for other people, what I was just suggesting is gradually letting the pH go up. Believe me, I have plenty of knowledge about fish and saying one person's information is wrong is only an opinion.

Your right it is only my opinion to say your wrong, and I didn't call you out to insult you. You could have also said that it helpful to add drano to the tank, and it would be my opinion that that is not smart. However I will boldy say that saying it is perfectly ok to allow a fish to go from a ph ten times more acidic to a ph ten times less, and that it is more harmful to use chemicals specifically meant to lower ph for fish in aquariums, is a fooolish and incorrect comment. You could not have been more misleading and while it is my opinion that you were wrong, i firmly stand by it. It may work for you, throwing your fish in a 7.4 ph tank, froma 6.4 but its not smart, and it likely won't work for everyone else. Therefore I gave her the option that will likely work better for her and be safer for her fish.

Instead of using chemicals to try to adjust the pH of water you don't know the hardness of, why not just drip acclimate the fish to the new water parameters? Unless you are starting with RO or extremely soft tap water your pH will rebound to it's original point. Drip acclimating will take a few hours max, trying to match the pH of the two tanks will take days, if it is ever accomplished due to pH swings.

Instead of using chemicals to try to adjust the pH of water you don't know the hardness of, why not just drip acclimate the fish to the new water parameters? Unless you are starting with RO or extremely soft tap water your pH will rebound to it's original point. Drip acclimating will take a few hours max, trying to match the pH of the two tanks will take days, if it is ever accomplished due to pH swings.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back