Some Plants I Found...

jakester

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was on a walk with my dog this morning and we went past a reservoir, leading up to the reservoir was a shallow stream, there were lots of plants and little creatures in it (newts tadpoles etc.) So i thought i might be able to put a few of the plants in my tank, but i thought i would check here first.

I was on a walk with my dog this morning and we went past a reservoir, leading up to the reservoir was a shallow stream, there were lots of plants and little creatures in it (newts tadpoles etc.) So i thought i might be able to put a few of the plants in my tank, but i thought i would check here first.

Should be fine,i would dip them in a bleach solution to kill any nasties.Never done it before so I don't know how to do it :blush:

Won't bleach mean i can't put them in the tank because the chemicals will make the fish ill?

You have to use a very weak bleach solution. Some plants can't withstand it, though.

Without bleach and possibly even with it since you have to keep it weak enough to not kill the plants, you run the risk of introducing something nasty into your tank. I have heard that dragonfly larvae will kill your fish. Not to mention all the other nasty possibilities.

I have heard of people doing it, though. It might be worth a try.

Shall I put them in a tank of there own and then put them in the main tank after a week or so.

Shall I put them in a tank of there own and then put them in the main tank after a week or so.
i would think the bugs would still be on them :unsure: .If it's just pond plants you are using i'm pretty sure they would be able to withstand a bleach solution!? :good:

bleach in weak soultion, then quartine for a few weeks, doing another bleach dip every week, then give them a full check over, and they should be fine, make sure no wildlife are on they before removing from stream.

when i bleech my plants before adding to the tank i dip them into a bleech solution (20:1 water:bleech)

steps
1) add 300ml of bleech to 6 litres of tap water (in a bucket)
2) get another bucket with 3x the recommended amount of chlorine remover
3) dip plants for 20 seconds (i use to do it 15 seconds at the start but i now do it for 30ish seconds with no loose of plants)
4) rinse off well under the tap/shower head
5)add the plants to the bucket with chlorine remover
6)leave plants in there for 5 minutes while leaving them in the 2nd bucket empty the first bucket (the one with bleech) wash out well with hot water
7) add water with more chlorine remover (3x recommended amount again) to the 1st bucket
8 ) after leaving the plants in bucket 2 for about 5 minutes rinse well under tap water again and add to the new soloution (the one you made in step 7)
9) leave for about 20 minutes and add to your tank

this is how i prepare my plants to get rid of snails before adding the into my tank and i carnt remember seeing any in there (first plants where from p@h about 3 weeks ago and no snails in my tank)

but i carnt say it will kill off all the germs from the plants you picked

chris

When you get them, post pics. Maybe someone can tell you what they are and if they can take the bleach dip. They also might be able to warn you incase it might be somethig bad for your fish.
You would be surprised at what you may find. I have an aquarium plant growing in my front yard. They love the clay, and in places it stays fairly wet.
Post pics. Someone will probably know what it is. :good:

Most reactions

Back