Some Pics Of My New Additions

pirate monkey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Haven't been around on the forums for a while...

We had a big problem with our tank a while back, most of our silver dollars got mouth rot and had to cull them in the end. Our tank had been looking rather empty for a while so we got a few new guys to help it look lively again, as well as a slight rescape.

Here's a before pic (it actually looked slightly different but I hadn't taken any pics for some time) sorry it's not good photo...

cichlidtank29-07-082.jpg

and here's how it looks now:

DSC00418.jpg

and here are the new members:

Sajica
DSCF0288.jpg

DSCF0293-1.jpg

A. spilurum - this one and another have paired up, they only went in on Saturday! I think this is the male. They have dug a little pit under that plant. They are chasing away anyone who comes near. The male is very colourful, and the female has gone almost black and white, and her eyes are black.
DSCF0291.jpg

DSCF0303.jpg

Geophagus brasiliensis - a big boy at about 7"!
DSCF0300.jpg

DSCF0301.jpg

EBJD
DSCF0298.jpg

and what we think could be a rainbow cichlid, but we're not completey sure... Answers on a postcard please!
It's not very colourful, but seems to have the right body shape.
DSC00427.jpg

This is what our existing firemouth thinks of the his new tankmates - he looks like he's flaring at a silver dollar, but he's chasing a spilurum!
DSCF0296.jpg

Thank you for your comments, I am really pleased we got an EBJD - we looked for one a while ago but it seemed the internet was our only option. Last week we walked in our LFS and they had three! He is only about 3"

Are there any suggestions for the rainbow cichlid?

I don't hink it is a Rainbow Cichlid :S looks very different to mine

DSCF0023-2.jpg

Looks to me like some kind of CA Hybrid possibley Convict x ?

Is this a grow out tank for your fish? cos you got a lot of monsters in a 77g (Trigon 190?)

I don't hink it is a Rainbow Cichlid :S looks very different to mine

DSCF0023-2.jpg

Looks to me like some kind of CA Hybrid possibley Convict x ?

Is this a grow out tank for your fish? cos you got a lot of monsters in a 77g (Trigon 190?)

Yeah espically the Jack Depmsey, I thought that they needed 75 gallons to them selves with no tank mates.

Yeah espically the Jack Depmsey, I thought that they needed 75 gallons to them selves with no tank mates.
Well, it's not quite that bad; a 55g would be ok for a single jd. This tank is definitely packed, though; I suspect that it's difficult to keep the water parameters under control (which might have been a factor in the demise of the silver dollars).

Down the line, we've got a potential 7-8" ebjd, a 7-9" geo, 6" firemouth, pair of 4-5" cutteri, 5"sajica, 5" multispinosa(?), three(?) 5" silver dollars, a monster poop-machine pleco (10"? More?). In a 77g tank.

His stock in a 190L works out...

1 x Gibbiceps Plec = can reach 24" (thats why I rehomed mine) but the average is 18"
1 x Severum 12"
1 x Green Terror 10"
1 x EBJD 10"
1 x Geo 14"
1 x Firemouth 8"
1 x Sajica 8"
1 x Rainbow Cichlid 5"
7 x Silver Dollars = 6" each
4 x spilurum = 6" each

Not being a moaner but I really hope you have a 8ft tank spare! lol

Some of that depends on the fish from what I've been hearing (considering upgrading to a 300L / 80G tank) - they can be overly aggressive, but some are quite placid. Definately need their space though.

I echo other peoples sentiments. Some of those fish need rehoming. Piratemonkey, have you given any thought to this? Which ones are most important to you?

His stock in a 190L works out...

1 x Gibbiceps Plec = can reach 24" (thats why I rehomed mine) but the average is 18"
1 x Severum 12"
1 x Green Terror 10"
1 x EBJD 10"
1 x Geo 14"
1 x Firemouth 8"
1 x Sajica 8"
1 x Rainbow Cichlid 5"
7 x Silver Dollars = 6" each
4 x spilurum = 6" each

Not being a moaner but I really hope you have a 8ft tank spare! lol

I am female, and my tank is 350l :p

but thanks for being concerned...

I am well aware that our tank is fairly full, but my other half buys fish quite impusively!

However, since our silver dollar issue (which I admit when I was depressed I wasn't so good at water changes) we have not lost any fish from that tank. The cutteri have been breeding which they wouldn't do if the water quality was poor. We have no territorial issues, we may be lucky with the individual personalities we have or it may be that the size of the fish mean they have not yet matured to be aggressive little buggers!

My point is, I am not advising anyone to stock their tank in this way, but it is working for us at the moment and we are under no illusion it could all fail in the future.

Most reactions

Back