Some Ick Problems

ns2003

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need some advise dealing with my tank.
The specs:
30 gallons, airstone and filter
Stocking:
2 goldfish
4 swordtails
4 angelfish
2 mollies
2 gouramis

Now I've had ick once before and I went to petsmart and they told me to buy some blue tablets which I put in the water and the thing said it would cure it in around 2 or 3 days. Now last week my dad bought the new swordtails and ick canlme back . One swordtail died and one molly died. I put some more tablets in but I guess it was too late or something. Today I saw that another swordtail has one whitespot which I dontknow if it's ick or what. Also, one molly has been rubbing against he ship I have inside the tank, but I don't see any white spots. Should I treat againfor ick?

Also, an unrelated question. What does It mean when a fish is zipping across the tank really fast ,"? Is he hyperactive or is there something wrong? What about if they are. Breathing really hard at the bottom of the tank?
Thanks!

What tyoe of goldifsh are they.
Your tanks overstocked.
Fancy goldfish 15 gallons for the first one, and ten gallons for every other one added.
Common goldfish 20 gallons and 10 gallons for every other goldfish added.
Goldfish are massive waste producers so need double filteration.

What are your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
Were the spots the size of a grain of salt.
Best to treat one more week once spots have fallen of the fish.

What are the blue tablets called.

Well I don't really have an idea of what those measures are , but I just did a 50% wAter change Saturday so I'm sure the readings should be fine.

They're yellow goldfish but they're normal goldfish, not those with big eyes or anything.

The spots looked like the size of salt grains and the molly that died had his right fin stuck together, he was having a hard time swimming . Does ick get their fins weird like that like if they had glue or something?

And the tablets are called Ick Clear.

Fins that stick together is usually bacterial finrot. Finrot common on top of whitespot.
Could also be the fish is producing more slime coat to protect itself from the parasites.

Take a look at types of goldfish in the coldwater section. Types of goldifsh are in the pinned section at the top of the forum.

also goldfish are coldwater and your other fish are tropical, so they should be in seperate tanks and one with a heater

They're common goldfish with normal eyes and stuff LOL nothing fancy.
And I've never had a problem keeping them together with other tropical fish.

I read around by googling ick that if you add non ionized salt to the tank it helps curing and prventing deseases... Is that true? Do any of you add salt to your tropical fish tanks?

also goldfish are coldwater and your other fish are tropical, so they should be in seperate tanks and one with a heater

a bit of an odd one really they tolorate both types of water cold or tropical

I used a heater when I kept goldifsh to keep the temp stable.
It more the goldfish picking smaller fish off and also goldfish are very greedy so other fish might not get enough food.

The optimum temperature for goldfish is around 25°C same as most tropical

yes they are messy fish and very greedy due to not having stomachs as such

Most reactions

Back