Some Bettas From A Lfs

Fishball7

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
[EDIT] More photos at page 2 and 3 /edit

Went to a reputable large pet shop the other day and took some photos of their betttas. They stock wilds, I didn't see any unfortunately, plakats and splendens. All in good conditions :) Tried resizing in photobucket but didn't seem to work.

P1020082Copy.jpg

P1020081Copy.jpg

P1020146Copy.jpg
P1020078Copy.jpg
P1020080Copy.jpg

P1020079Copy.jpg

P1020077Copy.jpg

P1020076Copy.jpg

Very pretty. Particularly like the first one and that blue and white one labelled 'giant super delta'. The third one down has some nice colouring with the yellow and red on the fins though too :good:

I hate seeing bettas in little cubes like that. It may be a reputable fish store, but if i see bettas in containers like that, i'll never go there again. I hope i am not alone. They may look healthy on the outside, but how do you think they feel on the inside??

The giant looks like he has barely enough water to submerse in. :(
It's absolutely horrible and cruel isn't it :sad:

They're a shop and from what I've seen, all of their fishies looked good and weren't so crowded except one goldfish, which is excellent for a pet/aquarium shop. All of the aquarium shop I've seen kept bettas in small containers, if not half filled cups, and most of them in horrible conditions; at least in this one they had clean water and ate bloodworms, therefore I'm happy with what they had done. Only one shop I've ever been into kept their bettas in five gallons of water each and they had live brine shrimps and live blackworms for food ;D Anyway, gotta be realistic.

They're a shop and from what I've seen, all of their fishies looked good and wasn't so crowded except one goldfish, which is excellent for a pet/aquarium shop. All of the aquarium shop I've seen kept bettas in small containers, if not half filled cups, and most of them in horrible conditions; at least in this one they had clean water and eat bloodworms, therefore I'm happy with what they had done. Only one shop I've ever been into kept their bettas in five gallons of water each and they had live brine shrimps and live blackworms for food ;D Anyway, gotta be realistic.
Realistic is having enough room to move which at least one of those fish isn't receiving. Bettas are tropical fish, i can't see a heater or filter in that 300ml cube. Even Pets at home (the english equivalant of fish at walmart) keep their bettas in 10 litres that is heated and filtered. If everyone had the same attitude as you nothing would change :|

LMAO Dude, I keep my pair of wild bettas in 80 litres of water, ie 21 gallons, no other fish, just some cherry shrimps. That's far larger than what most of you do. Please don't tell me what attitude I have regarding fish keeping. However, I understand the need to balance profit and space constraints in a shop. The fish have enough space to move, ie turn around, swim up, swim down, albeit not a lot. It's a warm town here and the temperature in the shop was not toasty but not at all cool or cold. I wouldn't worry about temperature for the bettas. It would have been at least a 20 degc and I estimate very modestly. I commend what they have done because 99% of all other shops here can learn to understand the paramount importance of clean water for betta. Space isn't such a big issue for them as they can do fine temporarily in such a tiny container, given their nature and I don't expect such fish to stay there for long. Given how the shop seems to treat all their other fish, ie clean tanks in every single one of them, not very crowded at all in any of them, daring to keep wild discus, angels and other very exotic, very expensive fish and shrimps in their tanks (SSS grade CRS comes to mind...), bloodworms in some of their tanks so I assume that's what they are fed at least, plus good reviews from local fish hobbyists, I am quite confident in their fish keeping skills, knowledge and ethics.

How do you know those bettas wont be in those boxes all their life. Alot of those bettas will spend their unfortunately short life in there. You saying "LMAO" truly shows your arrogance and disregard for those poor fish, that you can laugh at the face of cruelty of a living animal.

LOL actually I was LOL-ing at your presumption at my attitude towards fish keeping. Like now, LOLing at your presumption what you thought I was LMAO-ing about. :D Funny stuff.

I don't know if they will be in those boxes all their life. I don't think they'll be in the shop their whole life because they're gorgeous quality fish at a good enough price. Whether or not they will end up in small bowls by ignorant fish keepers is beyond me and if so reflects the stubbornness of purchasers and the education of shop staff, not how they treat their own bettas. How you know they will spend their entire life there astounds me. Perhaps you mean they will die of diseases due to the way they are kept. I don't think so though, as the shop seems very knowledgeable and skillful. There's another LFS here that keeps their bettas in such containers too. I will take photos some day and post here. The shop is owned by one of the country's very well-respected betta keeper. I think with the right person it can be done.

You know, I could keep a betta in a 10 gallon fully filtered and heated and it could die so easily. Bad water quality is a killer. High ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, amongst many other water factors. Betta welfare advocacy can sometimes be seen through such limited vision.

LOL actually I was LOL-ing at your presumption at my attitude towards fish keeping. Like now, LOLing at your presumption what you thought I was LMAO-ing about. :D Funny stuff.

I don't know if they will be in those boxes all their life. I don't think they'll be in the shop their whole life because they're gorgeous quality fish at a good enough price. Whether or not they will end up in small bowls by ignorant fish keepers is beyond me and if so reflects the stubbornness of purchasers and the education of shop staff, not how they treat their own bettas. How you know they will spend their entire life there astounds me. Perhaps you mean they will die of diseases due to the way they are kept. I don't think so though, as the shop seems very knowledgeable and skillful. There's another LFS here that keeps their bettas in such containers too. I will take photos some day and post here. The shop is owned by one of the country's very well-respected betta keeper. I think with the right person it can be done.
It doesnt matter how experienced a fish keeper you are, keeping a betta in a very very very small cube over time will bring disease and stress. How can the owner be one of the countrys well-respected betta keepers when he keeps bettas in such tiny boxes, you would have thought he would now better.

Evidently you don't understand my point, ie a combination of factors including, but not exhaustive: 1, quality of water the betta is kept in; 2, environmental factors eg room temperature, humidity, food; 3, skill and knowledge of the keeper eg water changes, water additives, medication; 4, how long the betta is kept there for ie home vs shop where betta could stay for an hour or two weeks.

Done arguing. Have fun insisting your point.

:D

Evidently you don't understand my point, ie a combination of factors including, but not exhaustive: 1, quality of water the betta is kept in; 2, environmental factors eg room temperature, humidity, food; 3, skill and knowledge of the keeper eg water changes, water additives, medication; 4, how long the betta is kept there for ie home vs shop where betta could stay for an hour or two weeks.

Done arguing. Have fun insisting your point.

:D
There is so little water in that box that you could do a water change with a pipette. 1. Quality of water betta is kept in= it cant be good no matter how many water changes are done because there is no filter with a spong in that has bacteria that is needed. 3. skill and knowlege of the keeper= as above, no matter how experienced the keeper, keeping fish in a tiny box will not be good for fish. 4. How long the betta is kept there for= no-one knows, but what we do now is that its likely that not all the fish will be bought. I have also done arguing. I am on the moral high horse, and the view is amazing :)

I must refute one point which is that bacteria can colonise anywhere, preferably somewhere with grip, not just on sponges.

And I think you're on the moral high horse with short sightedness. Must be great view indeed. :)

And now I'm explaining. I wasn't arguing. It's a fact to oppose your wrong statement, should someone else read it and think bacteria only live in sponges.

Most reactions

Back