Sold As 'green Spotted Ancistrus'....

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

screamingdonkey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Had this pleco for a while now and, as mentioned above, it was sold by my LFS as a green spotted ancistrus.
She's been feeding well & growing slowly but surely over the past few months.
Can't find anything on the net under green spotted ancistrus so I guess it's just another LFS mis-naming.... but what is it?
Any ideas????

Should add that she's about 4" at the moment - maybe that helps?!

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 174
  • pic2.JPG
    pic2.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 193
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 192
And onle last thing... couldn't get her tail properly in the pic but it has two creamy/yellowy/white-ish corners.
I've improvised with the drawing below....

Ok, so it's not a great drawing but I never was any good at art!!!

Attachments

• pic4.JPG
    pic4.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 97
there right, its in the ancistrus family but... im not sure which one, theres loads of different common names for different fish so its best to fin out there latin name :) ill try have a look for yah on http://planetcatfish.com

Yeh, pretty sure it's part of the ancistrus family from her shape etc but no idea which one.
I've looked on PC but you know what it's like on their site - there are hundreds of pics and you can never find 'exactly' what you're looking for! Thanks anyway

Don't think it's 2, 3 or 4 - spots on my one are more 'blotchy' - particularly towards the tail end of my fish.
It could be the that I have juvi of the first one maybe (Ancistrus chagresi) - the colouring's about right but the dorsal fin on the link you supplied is nuch more pronounced than on mine. Not convinced - but thanks for looking.

Smithrc where are you?!

Bumpety-bump..... anyone?

BTW - keep referring to it as a she but could well be a he, particularly in light of it's bristles

if you do a search for "poofish", you'll find my old threads about poofish (yes i know) our unidentified ancistrus. i got a few experts on the case of id-ing him, and we're still none the wiser. apparently the less common ancistrus species are virtually impossible to id without a capture location. you can have a good guess, but there are so many similar species in the ancistrus family that it would be just that, a guess, and not really definitive. :good:

<disclaimer - please excuse my one-handed typing, a recovering from an accident and can't type very well>

edited to add: i think she's female as she's only got lip bristles at 4"? unless there are other males in there with her.

if you do a search for "poofish", you'll find my old threads about poofish (yes i know) our unidentified ancistrus. i got a few experts on the case of id-ing him, and we're still none the wiser. apparently the less common ancistrus species are virtually impossible to id without a capture location. you can have a good guess, but there are so many similar species in the ancistrus family that it would be just that, a guess, and not really definitive. :good:

<disclaimer - please excuse my one-handed typing, a recovering from an accident and can't type very well>

edited to add: i think she's female as she's only got lip bristles at 4"? unless there are other males in there with her.

Thank you Kathy - I'll have a look for your poofish!

Woman who sold me her was convinced she was a female.

Good luck with the recovery!

ok listen they are algey eatters they eat the stuff in your tank :)

Hi, I see your quite new here. I don't know if you are being perverse or not. Yes these type of catfish generally do eat algae among other things but screamingdonkey is trying to work out which species they have. There are litterally hundreds of species in the Loricariidae family (plecos) many are not algae eaters. The Ancistrus genus itself may have hundreds of species most of which are not formally classified yet.

For my two cents on the type of Ancistrus spp I would comment that it looks very similar to one we call an orange spot bristlenose here in Australia.

Here is a poor shot of a young female I had

Orangespot01.jpg

Orangespot03.jpg

Dylan

Damn... and there was me thinking it was some form of shark that eats guppy fry! Ha ha!

For my two cents on the type of Ancistrus spp I would comment that it looks very similar to one we call an orange spot bristlenose here in Australia.

Thanks for your input Dylan.
Although it may not look too much like it from my photos, my pleco does actually look rather a lot like the one in your avatar.

Well, I guess I'm not going to get a definitive answer - as you say there are possibly hundreds of sub-species of ancistrus. Maybe I should just give up my job, spend the rest of my life searching South American rivers looking for it's family members and then do a scientific report on them. I could even name it Ancistrus screaming-donkius....

Thanks for your input Dylan.
Although it may not look too much like it from my photos, my pleco does actually look rather a lot like the one in your avatar.

Well, I guess I'm not going to get a definitive answer - as you say there are possibly hundreds of sub-species of ancistrus. Maybe I should just give up my job, spend the rest of my life searching South American rivers looking for it's family members and then do a scientific report on them. I could even name it Ancistrus screaming-donkius....

The pic in my Avitar is a young female sp3. I don't think thats quite what you have. The one I posted loses its spots a bit as it matures. On a thread a bit futher down about orange spots I posted the same comment about going to find all the plecs and naming them only I didn't think of calling one Ancistrus screaming-donkius I will have to now if I ever get around to looking. Maybe I will see you in a few years with a net and a snorkel in the Rio Xingu or somewhere.

Dylan

Most reactions

Back