So This Ebay Tank Looks Like A Good Deal.....

Wanda hornsey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Tank for Sale
this all seems like a fair standard ebay auction until you check out the shipping the guy wants to charge ....£50!!!!! :S :S :S
So.... he doesnt live that far from me and I could be interested so I email him and say if I won could I collect....sound fair? yes I thought so

this was his reply......
Item: fish tank 4ft L and 14 inch h (7737467156)
This message was sent while the listing was active.
garry3880 is the seller.

if you give me £50.00 yes you can

:sly: :sly: :sly: :sly: :sly:

Now thats somthing isnt it...I bet the guy who is bidding is blisfully unaware of this little catch :no:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tell him to stick it up his Fluval!! :hyper:

How can he try and charge a delivery fee if you collect it, he is clearly a clown!

I reported it to ebay as I really think its unfair advertising...... :(
Good Man - report that sucker! I use eBay quite a lot and that so sounds like unfair advertising!!! :angry: Check out his 0 feedback too! This guy sounds like a gangster!!

Thats well out of order! lol. Is the auction over? Did you get the tank. You could bid on the tank, if you havent already, and say that only way you want it is if you pick it up yourself, then you can report him if he is still asking for money. Good idea? :hey:

How can he try and charge a delivery fee if you collect it, he is clearly a clown!

He isnt "clearly a clown", its his auction :rolleyes: ! If you dont like it, dont bid (thats the point of auctions). Pfft...calling someone a clown because you disagree with his own auction and the stipulations he has in place? Thats a bit silly. Thats how many auctions work, sell them item cheap to attract the customer, and get your real profit from P&P. :nod:

I reported it to ebay as I really think its unfair advertising...... :(

Why report it? Theres nothing 'unfair' or illegal about it. You arnt forced to bid, you are qouted the delivery fee BEFORE biding, so you are obviously pre-warned. I would be sympathetic to you if you had of bid on it for .99 pounds, then found out later the cost of shipping, but you havnt, so why badmouth/report someone?

I sell things on ebay, and i charge postage and packaging to the exact price, but my items are dearer. It doesnt matter where you put up the price, the buyer pays postage + the cost of item. :S

Why dont you figure out how much a courier would charge to deliver that thing from his address to London? I bet it aint cheap! :no: But regardless, there is nothing "shifty" or "clown"ish about this auction.

Crazy...

well I would say given the weightof under 50Kg (give ot take) the local courier company (an APC company)could do it for £20 max! and thats overnight!!! & the guy is IN LONDON so the max journey on this would be 20 miles...you could take it in a black cab for that price

And I do think its unfair I trade on ebay buying and selling and would expect to get grief for an auction like this....and I didnt say anything rude I just said basicly "Buyer beware"..oh and ebay were interested too :)

Why report it? Theres nothing 'unfair' or illegal about it. You arnt forced to bid, you are qouted the delivery fee BEFORE biding, so you are obviously pre-warned

But if you don't want it delivered and would rather pick it up, why should you pay that much money to come to the persons house. It says nothing in the add about cahrging for pickups

"It doesnt matter where you put up the price"
Heh apart from the obvious lack of ebay fees in postage compared to normal auctions.

Thing is its not unreasonable to ask a collection fee: if someone wanted me to stay in, and let them come into my home over an auction I'd probably charge too.

My hubbie is a regular ebayer and always charges a fair price for P&P. However, he told me last night that he'd just won an item for the car, that had no reserve on it, the P&P was a fair amount but after the auction was over the guy send a bill with an additional £20 on the P&P!

When my hubbie complained he was told 'I reserve the right to increase the P&P if my items don't make as much as I'd hoped'! Hubby was livid and pointed out that the guy didn't include this anywhere in the listing, but he had to come to an agreement with him as we need the part.

Mr Miagi is correct - P&P is a good way to bump up your profits on ebay when your item won't sell for much. Doesn't mean it's fair though - however the tank selling guy did say upfront at least!

Why report it? Theres nothing 'unfair' or illegal about it. You arnt forced to bid, you are qouted the delivery fee BEFORE biding, so you are obviously pre-warned

But if you don't want it delivered and would rather pick it up, why should you pay that much money to come to the persons house. It says nothing in the add about cahrging for pickups

Dude, the point i was trying to make is, it doesnt matter how much it WOULD cost to pick it up, it doesnt matter HOW you wanna pick it up or get it shipped, its up to him to decide how much he is willing to charge. DOnt like it, dont bid. :) He says how much delivery would be in the auction statement, and if he wants to charge 50 pounds pickup, so be it, its up to him.

I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing. Like everyone else is saying: don't like it? don't bid.

Most reactions

Back