So Many Corys

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

haleem8777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a 100l aquarium with 3 small shoals of fish and i have space for about 10 or so corys. While i was searching which one to get a cant make my mind up and which 2 species i should get in groups of 5.

The species i cant decide between are Peppered, sterbai, tail spot , orange Venezuelan, bandit Cory so i was wondering could i keep 2 each of the 5 species giving me 10 corys in total.

i already have 2 peppered Cory which seem very happy in a pair

I'd just go with a large group of peppered since you already have 2 of them. I love the look of large groups of matching cories. Had 10 albino cory a while back & loved watching them

i may have 2 peppered but i really want the others

I would go with at least 5 of each. A pair may survive but they wont 'thrive'. For a sociable species, keeping just two is a little unfair, especially with the space to keep more.

I'd up the numbers of peppered to 6, and then get 6 of the other species, which ones is really a matter of personal preference (or availability).

yeah i guess i should give the fish what they deserve. Could i get away with 4 each of 3 species

haleem8777 said:
i have a 100l aquarium with 3 small shoals of fish and i have space for about 10 or so corys. While i was searching which one to get a cant make my mind up and which 2 species i should get in groups of 5.

The species i cant decide between are Peppered, sterbai, tail spot , orange Venezuelan, bandit Cory so i was wondering could i keep 2 each of the 5 species giving me 10 corys in total.

i already have 2 peppered Cory which seem very happy in a pair
The bold bit sounds dubious, but I would love to be corrected, list the species and numbers please. Given how 10 Corydoras pygmeus/hastatus/habrosus would use ~30-35cm of adult fish stocking of this 100l tank, your existing fish in this tank should be less than ~30cm as adults.

What are the tank dimensions?

i think the number are correct 5 each of harlequin rasbora, cardinal and black neon tetra. Also there are 4 pygmy corys and of course the 2 peppered cory.
All most forgot the 3 or 4 male guppy (i might be getting rid of the guppy).

According to the online stocking calculator with 10 more corys i would be fully stocked

haleem8777 said:
i think the number are correct 5 each of harlequin rasbora, cardinal and black neon tetra. Also there are 4 pygmy corys and of course the 2 peppered cory.
All most forgot the 3 or 4 male guppy (i might be getting rid of the guppy).

According to the online stocking calculator with 10 more corys i would be fully stocked
Before you add any more Corydoras, you have >75cm of adult fish in there, that is already overstocked.

Those online stocking calculators have a lot to answer for, far too many fishkepers blindly believe the stocking advice given and then wonder why fish drop like flies over the next 12 months, through stress induced disease and/or nitrate poisoning.

In my eyes you have some choices to make and I get the impression you like Peppered Corydoras. These reach 7cm (plus thier tail fin) as adults, so six of these will be over half of the 100l tank stocking.
From your existing fish your Harlequins would be the best match, up their number to 6-8, they will reach at least 3.5cm (plus tail fin). Harlequins are happy at low end tropical temps that the catfish need (21/22C) and are happy with a bit of flow.

That is this tank stocked using the above example, everyone else needs a new tank/home. 

i guess i will up the corys to 6 and keep the rest as at the size of the fish now and for about another year they should be ok in the tank.As next year i am getting a 200 liter aquarium

Most reactions

Back