So, First Things First...!

Fish_Newb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have recently set up a 6.6USG tank for a betta which I haven't purchased yet.

EDIT: http://i46.tinypic.com/zyanmw.jpg

The problem is, I have done soooooo much reading over this website and others in the last couple of days that everything has become so conflicted; so I have a few questions :)

Is it OK to add one betta now as the tank is a good size for one fish?
Would you add more plants than there are already? Currently three in the right corner and one larger in the left.
The filter is a Fluval 1Plus... Is that too powerful for a betta? I have read you can do without a filter....
APPARENTLY, Cherry Shrimp can make good tank mates (5-10 of them) This I am not sure of so thought better to ask!

Anything else that springs to mind would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

That's a nice setup!

Have you already cycled the tank?, or are you planning a fish-in cycle?

When I did my 5.5 gal Beta tank I too read that they didn't like current so I put a homemade deflector (part of a plastic bowl) that forces the water to the back glass and now the Betta swims inside the tube until he gets tossed around and spit out the other side. He does it for hours at a time.

I've also read about the shrimp but have no experience with them.

Oh, and welcome to TFF!

Thanks for the reply!

It has only been running 2 days. I have read in places that as there will only be one fish in the tank, its easier to do a fish-in cycle as there won't be that much ammonia...

If you can wait, it'd be better to do a fishless cycle. All of my five bettas were put in right away and three are okay and two have had fin problems due to ammonia. My two female bettas seem the best off.

Be sure to get API ammonia/nitrite/nitrate liquid test kits to keep an eye on water quality.

It will be fine to add 1, but daily water changes will be required for a while, while the filter matures.

They dont like current so something will have to be done about the filter, on mine when i had bettas, i got a big peice of tubing, put it over the outlet on the filter and aimed it at the back of the tank, but i also put loads of small holes in the tube to slow the current down loads, worked a treat.

Cherry shrimps really should be kept in thier own tank, but people have succesfully kept them in community tanks, only prob is if the shrimps breed (and believe me they will lol) the babies will get demolished by the betta.

Also if u do decide to add shrimp, try to get hold of some java moss or somthing similair cos shrimps love it :)

Unless you're getting a plakat or a female the Fluval 1 plus is definitely too strong for a betta ( the fancier sort like veiltails ect ) and has no adjuster to slow the flow. It would be better to modify the Fluval by ziptying a piece of coarse filter foam over the outflow, or just under it so the water falls through the sponge and is deflected in that way. You may also have to ziptie a fine stocking over the intake grills on the sides to prevent long fins being sucked in.

Or you could switch to a sponge filter and airpump ( to run it ) . Which you could do safely since your cycle won't have started yet and you have no fish anyway. Sponge filters are one of the best choices for fancy bettas , as they are safe for fins, and have no current to disturb the fish.

I think switching may be your easiest option, and sponge filters are not expensive at all. You can get them cheaply enough on ebay.

DEFINITELY add more plants. Lots more. I would suggest moving that bit of wood/rock and whatever is growing on it to the front, and fill the back with plants. Cabomba is a good easy plant to keep and is cheap to buy as stem cuttings. It's a great filler :good:

It would be better to wait but if you decide to do a fish in then the API Master Liquid Freshwater Test Kit is a must. It will run about $25-30. With the size of the tank and the plants it would be doable. But there will be daily testing and frequent water changes for quite a while.

I'm in the middle of a fish-in due to a mini-cycle caused by changing the filter. It can be done but it's a lot of work.

Cheers for all the advice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Aquarium-Plants-Cabomba-Caroliniana-Plant_W0QQitemZ220369060283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item334f0501bb

I would be able to get 30 of them if they come in 10's easily enough. However, wouldn't it be difficult to keep the plants away from the heater?

Is their a sponge filter with airpump you would recommend? Preferably on UK E Bay...

Cheers for all the advice.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Aquarium-Plants-Cabomba-Caroliniana-Plant_W0QQitemZ220369060283QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item334f0501bb

I would be able to get 30 of them if they come in 10's easily enough. However, wouldn't it be difficult to keep the plants away from the heater?

Is their a sponge filter with airpump you would recommend? Preferably on UK E Bay...

Dont matter about plants near a heater, mine are all over mine lol...

Here is what i used in all my betta breeding tanks
Sponge filter

Best and most quiet airpump ive ever used.
Airpump

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lovely tank and nice set up!
In my opinion the planting is fine as you do want to see your betta once in a while!! and hes going to have that group in the corner if he wants to get in and hide...

IMO again the filter would be fine if you just cover the in and outlet over with a bit of foam to stop it being too strong

I did try on the outlet, but the filter started to make a clicking noise as soon as any resistance was added. will have to see.

ive got exactlt the same filter and air pump as "livebearer_master" it works very well and is very quiet :good:

I have just bought some Cabomba and will be getting the API testing kit tomorrow.

So to save some $$$ I'll try connecting a tube to the outlet and directing it to the back with holes in the side to slow the pressure. If this doesn't work I'll be getting the recommended filter and air pump.

Cheers everyone.

Most reactions

Back