Snakeheads

I'd love a channa argus as well lovely looking fish

I live in the US, Pennsylvania to be exact.

Problem is there is a couple of states which they are legal and some people go to canada to get them which i do not condon for one second, so be careful if you do see any for sale, also do not purchase any from those china towns as they sell them alive for food, seems to be a stupid idea of a few kiddie's over on another well known site at present to go shopping in china town....If you get caught by the police you could end up with a hefty fine running into the thousand's

Problem is there is a couple of states which they are legal and some people go to canada to get them which i do not condon for one second, so be careful if you do see any for sale, also do not purchase any from those china towns as they sell them alive for food, seems to be a stupid idea of a few kiddie's over on another well known site at present to go shopping in china town....If you get caught by the police you could end up with a hefty fine running into the thousand's

As of this year, snakeheads are banned in every state in the US. It is illegal to import, export, and own live snakeheads.
I just watched a discovery program on them the other day. Really cool fish if you ask me. Too bad they eat everything in the waterways and must be destroyed.

As of this year, snakeheads are banned in every state in the US. It is illegal to import, export, and own live snakeheads.
I just watched a discovery program on them the other day. Really cool fish if you ask me. Too bad they eat everything in the waterways and must be destroyed.

It is a crying shame, how the few who released them ruined it for everyone, they are stunning fish and great fish to keep, however as you say being a predator which your waterways are not used to they will diminish everything as the fish will not have the fear to run til to late, they are ambush predators and boy the move like lightning, my parachanna obscura and channa pleuro move like lightning....
But you have a stunning alternative the bowfin, they are beautiful

LOL bowfins. I catch them all the time while fishing and we are told to kill them in the lakes around here. In fact, there is a local lake where there is a $100 fine if you are seen releasing a bowfin after you catch it.

wow serious i thought they were a native?
they are beautiful
i no of one for sale here in the uk but not going to buy it as no point now....
wow we are having such an amazing electric and fork lighting storm here now, not usual for us.. :hyper:

those bowfins look stunning

They are native. Problem is, they the eat eggs of the game fish. I actually caught the state record bowfin 3 years ago and didn't even know it. She was 30" long and 13lbs.

They are natural but they are considered a "rough" fish. When the walleye, bass, and panfish spawn the bowfin go and eat their eggs. To the DNR, the walleye, bass, and panfish are good fish and the bowfin is a trash fish.

That is a shame esp as they are native, thats just the food chain at work, cant see how the natural wildlife balance can suffer, it should not be ultered in my oppinion<sorry>but fair enough if they were an alien species but a native :unsure:

Actually now that I think about it, when they made the lake I don't think they put the bowfin in there. They are native to the waters around here but I think they were introduced to that lake some-how.

Most reactions

Back