Snails

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

littlenemo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
thought i had cleaned my plants well.. but ov i didnt as i found a snail in my tank. now do i leave it in if i do what will happen or do i take it out???
no.gif

It won't do much harm if you leave it in, but they will multiply. That shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't overfeed; excess food = excess snails!

Take it out if you don't like it, but there will almost certainly be more. It's a rare fishkeeper that has completely snail free tanks!

if i leave it in it wont eat all my plants will it???? dont mind leaving it in as long it doea not eat all me plants
crazy.gif

It depends on what species of snail it is; most only eat algae, left over food, things like that, but there are some snails that do eat plants.

I dont know if this helps any, but yoyo loaches are very well known for eating snails, so if there is a big snail problem in the future and you have enough room for 3 of them i would recommend yoyos

They are correct that the snails won't hurt anything. However, having said that, they will multiply. Also, I had 6 clown loaches and they would not eat trumpet snails. I'm not sure why. They took care of the other small snails that come in on plants but trumpet snails, forgetaboutit! As far as eating plants, I have never had that problem. My clown loaches ate my java moss but the snails didn't eat them. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back