Snails?

spadge

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Im new to the site and wondered what you guys think snails? do you have preferences on snails and what snails are good/Bad for what jobs? i currently have 5 ceriths, and i am looking to expand my cuc, just researching snails but i would like to hear your guys preferences and experiences,

Thanks in advance :good:

Oh and the topic was meant to say snails, dont know how to edit....DOH :blush:

Im new to the site and wondered what you guys think snails? do you have preferences on snails and what snails are good/Bad for what jobs? i currently have 5 ceriths, and i am looking to expand my cuc, just researching snails but i would like to hear your guys preferences and experiences,

Thanks in advance :good:

Oh and the topic was meant to say snails, dont know how to edit....DOH :blush:

Thats a shame! I know where you can get some really nice anails. Theyre just like snails too! Lol

Mexican turbo snails are good CUC. Have some in my tank!

[/quote]
Thats a shame! I know where you can get some really nice anails. Theyre just like snails too! Lol

Mexican turbo snails are good CUC. Have some in my tank!
[/quote]

Thanks for that i didnt feel at all stupid...DIDNT!! lol :rolleyes: so would you recomend snails or Anails? lol i was looking for turbos but geard they got quite large, how are yours fairing up? are they doing much cleaning?

Anails is likely to get the wrong type of replies mate ;)

Click edit on your post then full editor, there you can change the title.

Back to topic I have a variety of hermits, algae and red. blue legged. As long as you have spare shell in the tank you shouldn't have many issues with these.

As for snails I have Turbos, if you dont know they are not quick, the name comes from turban as in the shape of their shells ;)

you my freind are a legend, and saved me a great deal of embarrassment im sure lol, do the turbos get large? i have 3 scarlet hermits too, quite small at the min, not sure how big they will get, any ideas where i can get shells, my lfs's dont do them and i could only manage to find polished ones on a popular auctionsite, i live at the coast can i colect and sterelize shells for my hermits and are scarlet hermits reef safe, my research saysso but i have heard they nip corals?

Its hard knowing what hermits you are talking about as there are a few and my knowledge isn't great, best bet is ask your LFS but as far as I know most hermits are ok. Its the non hermit crabs that I have always avoided personally.

The red legged I have as far as i know are safe enough however I dont really see them until night, but I havent really seen evidence of them chomping on corals.

The problem I had was I picked up some zoas from a LFS and introduced Nudibranches to my tank, no that was a mare :no:

Here is a nice site to look at for the latin names and great images. Unfortunately its in french but you dont really need that anyway.
http://www.recif.be/article/hermit.htm

My turbo snails have only been in a few days and they have only just started to do their jobs, but I have been told, many a time that these snails are great janitors. As not anails...........just steer clear! lol

thanks, they are red legged hermits. I beleive but maybe wrong there are two types, the scarlet and ....whatever the other was called lol. mine sit on the LR facing (luckily) towards the front of the tank, they to are only active at night, thank god for my superbright blue leds just for tht occasion, in fact as far as maine setups go they were the one thing i wanted, not the most interesting of critters but i could watch them for hours plus breaks my concentration from staring t the creavices in my LR for new critters. :lol:

Cheers woody :lol: just when i thought everybody had forgotten lol, i really want some turbos, i heard they are really good for shorter hair algae, cant get hold of any locally ATM tho, only ceriths although they are doing there job and they turn the sand over too.

I had a snail in my tank that seemed to be having real problems getting about at any kind of pace, I thought it might make it easier if I lightenend his load and so I removed his shell..........

......................it didn't work in fact if anything he made him more sluggish!

I had a snail in my tank that seemed to be having real problems getting about at any kind of pace, I thought it might make it easier if I lightenend his load and so I removed his shell..........

......................it didn't work in fact if anything he made him more sluggish!

haha :rofl: well played that man

Most reactions

Back