Snails?

when it happened to me i poured boiling water over gravel not in the tank because it will crack the glass, and then rinsed and job done no more snails, you can also get snail control treatment thats widely available :good:

I had a funny experience yeserday :look:
I had the same problem as you, Connor, and I had just got my first fish for my tank. They were Silver Tipped Tetras. They have not been known to eat snails. So anyway, I put them in the tank, and two seaconds later, this female go's for a tiny snail on the glass. She starts picking at it, and finally grabs it and swims away. A few seaconds later, she spits out the empy shell! :crazy: :fun: :blush: . So, anyway, no more snails for Zophie!!! :look:

ZOphie

I've had 4 snails (that I've seen) in my tank now. 2 tiny ones last week and then today I found 2 much bigger ones. I was horrified. I also don't think they're they same species as the first 2.

Anyway, I sucked one of them out and then noticed the second a while later. I decided to "do it in a minute" as you do coz I was watching something. I noticed out the corner of my eye that my Platys were flapping around looking excited about something but thought nothing of.....went back 2 mins later and the snail had dissapeard from the side of the glass. So I think they ate it LOl.

I have LOADS of eggs all over my sand, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more snails. I think they must have come in on the plants coz I certainly do not overfeed. I'm now wondering if I have had a lot more and my Platys have just eaten them before I've seen them.

What concerned me though is these 2 snails were much bigger than the first 2 and it made me wonder how long they'd been in the tank and how I hadn't seen them before. It's not a big tank and I'm obsessed with looking for them!

I've had 4 snails (that I've seen) in my tank now. 2 tiny ones last week and then today I found 2 much bigger ones. I was horrified. I also don't think they're they same species as the first 2.

Anyway, I sucked one of them out and then noticed the second a while later. I decided to "do it in a minute" as you do coz I was watching something. I noticed out the corner of my eye that my Platys were flapping around looking excited about something but thought nothing of.....went back 2 mins later and the snail had dissapeard from the side of the glass. So I think they ate it LOl.

I have LOADS of eggs all over my sand, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen more snails. I think they must have come in on the plants coz I certainly do not overfeed. I'm now wondering if I have had a lot more and my Platys have just eaten them before I've seen them.

What concerned me though is these 2 snails were much bigger than the first 2 and it made me wonder how long they'd been in the tank and how I hadn't seen them before. It's not a big tank and I'm obsessed with looking for them!
Oh, don't worry. They'll turn up some day. Most fish seem to eat them, I find, or mabey I just get snail loving fish :) The two different types of snails are proboly because there are two different types of plants in your tank, and two different types of snail eggs arrived on them.

Zophie :look:

Oh, don't worry. They'll turn up some day. Most fish seem to eat them, I find, or mabey I just get snail loving fish :) The two different types of snails are proboly because there are two different types of plants in your tank, and two different types of snail eggs arrived on them.

Most reactions

Back