Snails!

Robot_Rooster

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have jsut found four minature snails on the edge of the water in one of my corners on the tank. probably came with the plants but, they bad? will they breed like rabbits? how would i get them out?

thanks in advance

unless you want snails and lots of them lol id get your finger in and either crush them against the glass for fish food or take them out
regards scot :good:

Yup, fish love crushed snail. Used to crush as many as I could and let the fish eat them for years with no ill effects to the fish that I could see. If your infestation grows too large you can also leave a chunk of cucumber or a sunken lettuce leaf on the bottom overnight and hopefully find a number of snails to take out with it in the morning.

Keeping or ridding your tank of snails is personal choice. There is nothing wrong with them as far as the fish are concerned I'd say and many people are amused watching them, especially the large ones, which can be quite attractive. On the other hand, many aquarists definately do not like the look of a lot of small ones on their aquascape.

~~waterdrop~~

Im going through a mini snail boom too atm and I am squishing them at the side of the tank. However, I didnt feed the fish on Sunday and the next morning there were noticably less snails. So I have cut back on the food a bit and the snails seem to be going down somehow. Give it a try! They didnt cling to the cucumber I put in.

i had terrible snail infection, crushed as many as i could, but the eggs survived and they came back twice as strong.

Did the lettace and cucumber thing, didnt work.

So got me self a clown roach, and he has almost eaten them all, there are still a few but no where near as many as before, and its a only a matter of time till he gets them too.

but clown loaches sometimes aren't the best solution as they grow bigger than people think and ideally need to be kept in groups. although there are other smaller loaches that will happily eat them

none of my snails were attracted to the veggies at all,,,,think they were all meat eaters lol :rolleyes:

but clown loaches sometimes aren't the best solution as they grow bigger than people think and ideally need to be kept in groups. although there are other smaller loaches that will happily eat them

Sorry to hijack but what are the smaller (snail eating) loaches you are referring to? I too have a snail banaza and failed with the salad cocktail :rolleyes: I even bought (at great cost) 2 assasin snails but one disappeared and one looks dead.

I have nothing delicate in my snail tank so what about chemical intervention? ( :crazy: i know!)

Botia Kubotia are great snail eaters. Need a group of 4+, but only get to about 4" fully grown, though 5" is possible...

Clown loach are another that are good snail munchers, but need a group of 6+ and will grow to a foot each on the otherhand... I know which I'd prefur from a limits of stocking point of view, and both are rolling in charactor. :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Botia Kubotia are great snail eaters. Need a group of 4+, but only get to about 4" fully grown, though 5" is possible...

Clown loach are another that are good snail munchers, but need a group of 6+ and will grow to a foot each on the otherhand... I know which I'd prefur from a limits of stocking point of view, and both are rolling in charactor. :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Googled the B K's as I know Clowns are too big for my tank by far. They look great but what about 4 in my AO850 (see sig.)?

Most reactions

Back