Snails

thennig

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wondering if there is any snails that don't eat live plants. I had an apple snail and a white ivory snail that ate all of the live vegetation in my aquarium.

Hello,

I am wondering if there is any snails that don't eat live plants. I had an apple snail and a white ivory snail that ate all of the live vegetation in my aquarium.

some spicies of apple snail dont eat plants

pomacea bridgesii wont unless the alredy dead and rotting

:good:

i keep bridgesii in my planted tank with no problems

sharon

where can you get these snails? i would like some but not that will eat my live plants!

apple snails lay there eggs above the water line there not hard to miss, they lay them in clusters which are very easy to move if you dont want them.

If you want snails, check your LFS/LPS. Look in their tanks, especially with ones that have plants. I'm sure they will give you them for free.

Hello,

Actually, there are no snails that will be suitable for your tank--you have loaches. Loaches naturally eat snails, of all kinds, from itty bitty pest pond-type snails, to huge apple snails. If the loach is small and the snail is big, the loach will just pick at the snail and eventually injure or kill it anyhow.

If your ivory snail ate all your plants, it was probably the same species, just different color, as your regular apple snail (and that was probably Pomacea canaliculata).

The three species that are relatively plant-safe are:
Pomacea bridgesii (common "mystery snail", in all colors from black to pink and purple). These mature to the size of a golf ball, have seperate sexes so a single individual will NEVER breed in a tank, and lay big bring pink bubblegum-like clutches above the waterline.

Asolene spixi a newer animal on the market, is a little inch-inch and a half snail that has a brown and gold striped shell. These snails are sexed, so a single one won't breed, but they do lay eggs in clear gel masses underwater, so they're harder to keep an eye on.

true ramshorn snails, Planorbis corneus or rubrus, are coiled like, well, a ram's horn and come mostly in brown, black, or red, and get about nickle-sized mature. The blood red ones are GORGEOUS in a planted tank. They are hemaphroditic, so ANY two snails will breed, there's no male and female with these guys. They lay little jelly globs underwater that turn a tea brown as they mature. Make SURE they're not "columbian ramshorns" Marisa cornuarietis which are brown/gold striped, very damaging to plants and get HUGE.

Yep, just boil and scrub them until they look clean. But so you know, adding shells to your tank gradually increases the pH :) .

Most reactions

Back