Snails What Can I Do To Stop Them

iroc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My 20 gal has been completely overung by snails, I mean at this point I remove between 20 30 snails a day and yet an hour later they seem to be coming from everywhere. My tank is fully planted and at this point a lot of the ground covering would be very had to remove and clean. Is there anything I can do?

20gal
with 5 neon tetras, 6 black neon tetras, 3 zebra danios, 1 drawf gourami, 1 platy

ph 6.8
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 10

yes get your self a orange finned loach it will wipe them out with in 24 hours
puffer 8s are better but you need salt in the tank for them to survive :good:

hello m8,
i had an unbelievable snail problem, i was siphoning out more than 100 every few days, i've got an asian tank, heavily planted, stocked with gourami's and harlequins, i wanted some loaches for the bottom and found zebra loaches (botia striata) liked to eat snails, so i bought 6 of them and 5-7 days later i cannot see a single snail in my tank, cannot recommend them enough for sorting out snail problems.

Dealing with Pest Snails
That pinned topic in the Invertebrates, Amphibians & Aquatic Reptiles section of the forum has some good solutions and is definatly worth reading through.

For those that can't be bothered clicking the link:

I'll start off with the pest snails which many of you find hard to rid from your tank and go through the methods of removing them weighing up the pros and cons of each.

Chemical solution for killing snails:
Had-A-Snail is just one of the many chemical solutions - usually using copper and sulphate ions (incedently fact of the day human red blood cells contain haemoglobin (iron), snails have copper in place of iron and their blood is actually blue!). I'm not sure why the copper kills snails, but you'll have to take my word for it. The pros are that it is very fast however the cons are two fold:
1) You'll tend to have many little shells just left lying around in your tank (may/may not bother you).
2) The dead snails pollute the water TERRIBLY. People sometimes use a medications with copper in it and have found out that inadvertently their population of trumpet snails (or others) is wiped out, as they rot the ammonia and nitrite readings will shoot up and you have to be alert not to lose a few fish because of it. Obviously this will only happen if you have a VERY serious snail infestation.

Biological- snail solution:
A better solution that using chemicals is a solution involving other living organisms or in this case more fish! (Yes a great excuse!) However it is not always ideal. The most common fish suggested for snail munching is the clown loach which as you will see on the Clown Loach Profile grows up to 12" or 30cm. Obviously, this is not practical for many aquariums as they will soon outgrow the tank. Keeping them in a tank too small for them will limit their lifespan (they should live to about 15 years) and make them more susceptible to diseases. Other fish such as puffers are sometimes suggested to combat water snails, but these are generally not suited to a community aquarium as they use their beaks to rip tails and fins of other fish.

Manual- snail solution:
As you will see the other two solutions do not work for everyone and have problems for the bulk of wanabee snail haters. This is probably the most obvious and the most boring solution to the problem, results won't be instant but you have to assess the causes of the snails:
1) The snails are there - not because they eat fish mess (it has low energy value as well as probably not tasting nice :X ), they are there because there is excess food for them. Perhaps you are overfeeding your tank - cut back the feeding to every other day and reduce the amount you feed to your fish - they should be furious at the surface fighting for food everytime you feed them not lounging about in the middle of the tank and waiting for it to sink down to them and looking bloated. Cutting back feeding will also solve any algae problems you are likely to be suffering.
So the snail population will decrease over time - not because snails die off and pollute the tank, but because - well yes they will die over time but the fact is the food is no longer in great excess and so they don't rapidly multiply in a period of relative "snail boom".

To help them on their way you can manually remove them, there are many "methods" for making it easy to remove vast amounts of snails but unless you are SERIOUSLY overun with pest snails I have found them to vary in success never the less I will list them later. One solution is to pick the snails off in the tank - this is time consuming you drop them and they then lurk in the gravel, a modified solution to this is crushing them when they are in the tank instead of taking them out - i do not know a single fish which will not eat squashed snail! They make a sort of crunch - perhaps pest snail squashing isn't for everyone though :) .

The two main methods I hear as the "miracle cure" may work for you, but didn't for me.

1) Anchor a piece of lettuce under something, leave it overnight and when you turn on the lights the next morning it should be covered. Just pitch them in the trash. Simple and completelty safe.

The second method varies only in that it uses courgette /zucchini (I believe you Americans call it that?) inside a glass, and feeding the caught snails to a tank of puffers or clown loaches instead of throwing it into the trash.

Note, I'll update this as I have time and add to the sections in the order they are in the title. Feel free to add comments which I can include in the article as it will be pinned and people redirected to it for all common aquatic snail issues.

snails only breed that quickly if there's lots of things to eat
do you think you might be over feeding your fish?
a good way to test is to check the nitrates level of your tank water if its very high or least substantially higher than your tap water it may mean you are over feeding

so try that if not you can use an anti snail treatment - but that can be a major hassle if you have shrimps cos most of them kill shrimps to so you can sacrifice your shrimps :( or try to catch them all which can be a right pain!

or as suggested buy a snail eating fish but looking your tank thats probably not an option unless you can set yourself up another tank.

Do you have any friends who keep puffers? If so, use the lettuce bait and just give 'em to your friend. I have to breed snails for mine, and oftentimes wish I had the infestation problem in at least one of my tanks.

They also seem to do well in a compost pile (seems cruel to just toss 'em in the trash), but they'll do a number on your garden.

Also, check out some of the smaller loaches (or anybody who eats shells for that matter). Clown loaches are effective but a definite no-no :no: for your tank.

What about getting a clown loach and rehome the zebra danios to the 55 gal and just leaving the loach in there long enough to clean out the snails then putting him in the 55 gal?

55 gal has
2 angelfish
1 green serverm cichlid
1 parrot cichlid
1 bala shark
1 pleco
1 golden gourami

bala was giving to me (he was going to be put to death)

soften your water if you can, snails can't grow their shells in soft water, they just die off.

clown loaches need to be kept in groups (pref. 5 although I've kept 2). they get to about a foot, so sadly even a 55 is a little too small. There are other loaches though, i.e. kuhli loaches, that eat snails.

also you could get some cichlids- my firemouth ate all the snails in my tank very quickly and there still young 2-3 inch.

many cichlids will eat snails. youre severum + parrot might eat them, as long as there not too big(over 3 inch) too eat youre small fish in the 20 g. dont feed them for a day then give one of them a try. watch them though

I have a similar problem in one of my smaller tanks. I was wondering if a panda cory would eat the snails? I use to have a snail problem in my main tank aswell, but since i got some american flag fish it seems to be ok. Also do apple snails eat the brown pest snails?

khulie loaches will only eat the small snails as they themselves are quite small - but i would definately not feed your fish for a day and cut back on the amount of food you give them daily, because you never know there maybe a snail eater among then them! i watched my male apistogramma munch a snail right out of its shell the other day - i kid you not - and i would never have thought of a peaceful little apisto having enough agression to pull a snail from its shell.

feeding less will mean less snails too as they won't find so much to eat

i would think its unlikely that a cory could eat a snail because of their barbles and the way of shifting the sand to get food - doesn't seem like they have the right equipment to eat snails - but i maybe wrong

Thats wat i thought too. I didnt think cory's would eat them either. I may try and get my american flags in the tank to eat the snails. I want to get a fish that will eat my pest snails, but im already got to many fish already. Well i can get more but not yet cause im going away for 6 weeks and dont want my gf to look after a whole heap of fish while im away. Im thinking i might quarantine the tank and make sure nothing gets transfered to my main tank which used to have the same problem but doesnt anymore :) The tank is a 20L and has 2 male guppies in it at the moment if that helps. Thanks in advance

Hey,

We had a snail problem, it usually starts with plants that have been bought from aquariams. Even when you look before planting them, you still run the risk of there being eggs on the leaves, so check these before planting any new plants (usually on the underside of the leaf).

You can get a few chemical snail removers, but the best way I've found to deal with the problem is with a clown loach. You need to be careful, as these can grow quite big, and might eat smaller fish if they get big enough. They usually fair better with more than one, but we have had just one for a few years now, and have been snail free since he's been around.

Good luck, they're a pain once they've taken hold.
Sarah

I bought some java moss had some hitchhiking ramshorn snails and within 2 months I was swamped with them. I've been picking them off and crushing them whenever I see them but I wanted to get rid of them once & for all so I bought some "had-a-snail" yesterday. Snails came raining out of the moss.
I'm going to do another treatment after a bit to get rid of any that hadn't hatched before and hopefully that will be problem solved.

Most reactions

Back