Snails Out Of Control

SJM

Reaction score

Hi all!

I have a huge problem in my tiny tank!
I purshased a plant from a pet shop months ago and have got snails into my tank from it.
I have tryed a snail trap, but there is so many snails that I can never catch up with them.
The tank is always alge and the PH of the water always goes up to acidic, within a couple days of a PH change.

Can anybody give me any tips?
- In the tank I have two Perl Lace Gourami Fish and two botton feeders.
Thans SJM :good:

SJM

I'm not a pro yet but if you put a lettuce leaf in the tank overnight the snails will collect on the leaf. Remove the leaf in the morning and repeat every night until you gain control.

About the algea problem, control the amount of light your tank recieves, direct sunlight is bad and should be avoided.Try not to give more than 10 hours of light a day at first.
You can also try a large waterghange ( 50%) and everyday after that 10% for 2 weeks or until the water has stabilized.Try to minimize the amount of light to the bare minimum in that period.

There are also chemicals availeble for the removal of snails but since you didn't mentioned the type of snails your tank are infested I just would like to add that some type of snails is a benifitiary for the tank like the Gold Apple type snail.

Hope things go well

go with the lettuce leaf for the snails, or add 4 or 5 assasin snails

Welcome to the forum SJM.
I am getting a slightly different picture here. Snails in large numbers and unable to control algae means that it is growing very well. That means to me that there are plenty of plant nutrients in the water or that the snails have plenty to eat without eating any algae. Either way it points to overfeeding the fish in the tank so that there is leftover food that either gets to decay and become nutrients for the plant matter and / or that the snails are eating to allow them to reproduce and create more snails without eating the algae. I would reduce feeding amounts and maybe even frequency to reduce the surplus that is supporting both the snails and the algae. The control of light in the tank can also help somewhat with the algae control but the nutrient surplus must be dealt with.

I'm not sure if you want to try this, but apparently copper kills snails, i read somwhere if you put a copper coin(1p/2p) in the filter, it should kill them.

~betta_246

Copper will kill snails. It will also kill fish if the levels get too high and will kill any shrimp or similar invertebrates that you might want to keep now or in the future. Carefully controlled doses of copper can effectively kill every snail in a tank but it becomes a long term commitment to not keep any of the other things that are sensitive to copper. I avoid the stuff completely and can still control snails at a reasonable level. A tank totally free of snails is seldom my objective though.

Welcome to TFF, SJM!

I agree with the others, the lettuce leaf trap (you can try other non-messy veggies too) is frequently reported here as working. Placing a tea saucer under the veggie can sometimes help to catch more snails as they start to fall off when you raise the thing out of the water the next morning. Be sure not to put the snails in the indoor trash or they will crawl out.

Perhaps even somewhat more important than the lettuce thing is your attitude. Instead of looking at your tank and wondering what the right "snail solution" will be, its better to think of snails as an ongoing part of tank maintenance, just like nitrates building up or something. First of all, examine your feeding habits (the members can help) and be sure you are not overfeeding. Feeding once a day only the amount that can be consumed in 2 to 3 minutes and having an occasional non-feeding day is enough. Examine your gravel-cleaning technique. The weekly water-change-gravel-clean should deep clean all the gravel and an attempt should be made to stir up and try to get out as much loose debris as possible. If 50% of the water is removed doing this then so much the better! Most important, don't be shy about crushing the snails against the glass and letting your fish have a treat eating them. It takes longer for the snails to grow than for you to crunch them, so if you do several every time you can, you will eventually win out.

OK, now lets move on to the other things that perhaps are a larger concern (since snails are perhaps nice looking but are not really a danger to anything!) You describe 4 potentially large fish in a "tiny tank" and I think its important that you tell us the numerical volume of the tank and the total fish and sizes! The members can help verify whether you are "overstocked." Likewise you may need to describe your filter and your water chemistry (as reported by results from liquid-reagent-based test kits) so that we can be sure your fish stock is not overloading your "biofilter." Its easy for this to happen in situations with a small tank and small filter!

Algae is encouraged by two things, ammonia and light. Ammonia is always present in a running tank. It passes from waste sources (fish respiration, fish waste, excess fish food and plant debris) to the filter where it is eaten by the ammonia oxidizing bacteria present in the filter. When this flow of ammonia is "under control" (from the fish standpoint) then our liquid-based ammonia test kits will register "zero ppm" ammonia. Sometimes to the surprise of beginners, this "zero ppm" doesn't really mean "zero" of course but just very low level and if the water circulation in the tank allows "still pockets" then there can be enough ammonia to feed algae in places in the tank (margins between substrate and glass are good examples) and if enough *light* is present (especially sunlight or all-day tank lighting!) then algae are encouraged!

So the algae is a sign of something! Its asking you: Too much light? Too much leftover food in the gravel? Too many big fish peeing in the water? Not enough good circulation of the water throughout the tank? Not a big enough biofilter?

In your web search to get here you've stumbled across a great hobbyist site! The TFF members are great at stopping in to chat and spending part of their online time helping other members with problems and the sharing of experience. I hope you get to the bottom of your problem and that in the process your experience with your hobby is enhanced!

~~waterdrop~~ :)

i went ou and bought a few loachs for they could eat the babie snails and i just caught the snails crawling on the walls every couple of hours and the ones on the rocks when i could after a week it seemed to have them under control and all i did was salt the snails and throw them in trash
but i regret getten the loachs there f*****ing $$holes they pick on my fish so all i have left is tony the yo yo loach
i named him tony cause he was the boss of the tank but not anymore hes allways hideing in sunken ship the other fish shook him up

Thanks everyone for replying so quick!

I will feed them a little less, and will start the lettuce trick tonight as I have a spare lettuce lol.
I do not have internet on at home but will get back to you with tank mesurments.

I got a small tank to start will because I am new to it all and I have a book on tropical fish though the detail in it is not great.
I do want to get a bigger tank soon, once i have the cash. my tank is about a 30L tank and it has a botom floor with holes through which the pump sucks water up through the floor and through the pump.
I do awalys do a weekly water change i have be keeping the light to a min ium of hour or so a day. and I clean the pump once a month.

Also what you you know or think about the BIO BOMB for waste managment? Whould this possiable help?

Thanks heaps i getr back will more details by wednesday. xox :D

I sounds like an aqua one 320, it's 32 litres and comes with a powerhead driven under-gravel filter. Unfortunately the fish are too big for that tank eventually, well they may be ok as long as you don't add anything else to that tank. But ultimately, certainly for the lace gourami, you'll need at least a 90 litre tank to give them enough swimming space. You certainly can't add anything that would eat the snails to your tank. What are the bottom feeders?

On the snails, yeah the lettuce trick works, and the number of snails is directly linked to the amount you are feeding the tank. You perhaps want to think about feeding less but more often so there's less food going to waste that the snails are thriving on.

YES YES! It is that tank . I am doing the lettuce trick its working and feeding less utimatly soon I want to get a 4 ft tank. :rolleyes:

thanks for your help will keep you posted. :good:

YES YES! It is that tank . I am doing the lettuce trick its working and feeding less utimatly soon I want to get a 4 ft tank. :rolleyes:

thanks for your help will keep you posted. :good:
So glad its working SJM (about the snails) and please keep us posted as both we and the other new beginners find it useful to get feedback on the extent to which all our various recommendations really end up working for people!

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Also, I belive the sell a product called Snail-be-gone. I had a bad case of them one time too and this killed all the snails.

Also, I belive the sell a product called Snail-be-gone. I had a bad case of them one time too and this killed all the snails.
this is a copper treatment. be wary of copper if you ever want to keep inverts. keep going with the lettuce trick and feed less/better substrate cleaning.
cheers

this is a copper treatment. be wary of copper if you ever want to keep inverts. keep going with the lettuce trick and feed less/better substrate cleaning.
cheers
Agree, this is partly what this thread was all about... ways to not have to use dangerous chemicals like that!

Most reactions

Back