Snail With Cracked Shell!

murphyk32

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a snail and the top of its shell is cracked! im not sure how this wouldve happened and i never seen it before today (the crack) and was wondering if its ok or is there something i could do about it,, and how would it have happened?

I appologize as the pic shows very little detail of the crack and doesnt show it all... its acctually a decent sized crack which cant be seen as well in the picture...

snailcracked.jpg

Murph

i have put it alone with my betta in my 2gallon for the time being...

Murph

no need to isolate it really.. just add calicum to its diet.

Was it in a tank with any other snails? I have two apple snails and one of them have a big crack down his shell, which has almost stopped his growth. I was worried about it but as it turns out it is due to him putting too much energy into trying it on with the other snail than actually growing! So it could be due to natural courses rather than a fall.

I had an apple snail a while back that had his shell broken by my over curious crayfish, but he lived for quite some time after that. so I wouldn't worry about it.

I could be wrong on this, but im fairly sure that snails cannot heal shell that has been damaged away from the growing tip of the shell. It is a myth that they can heal the outer part of the shell which as it desintegrates leaves harmless white patches on the snail. A better pic would help.
It should be ok, but if you can get a better pic I can firmly state if it needs to be covered.

Most reactions

Back