Snail Vs External Filter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DrunkenMunky

Reaction score
I recently brought another apple snail as found my first one so good thought i'd give him some company and at first all went well......... until i came home from work too see him stuck against the filter at the end of my inlet?
So folks today in the battle of snail vs external filter it looks like its external filter 1 snail 0. RIP Gary
any suggestions on how to stop this happening in the future greatly appreciated otherwise :sad:

There you go DrunkenMonkey, you have an excuse to go buy some tights. Just don't ask for "fish nets" ;)

meow lol guess i'll have to use the ones i got for last saturday :X

a pair of tights over the inlet or some fine mesh allows them to sruggle over it if caught
sounds like a good idea, till you try it.
it will block and cause problems with the filter.
and it will do it fast!
I've tried it myself with old tights and with the net from a broken fishnet.
I've even tried with old loose weave cloths.
result is the same, a blocked filter inlet. and, as i have said, it blocks fast.

any attempt at "pre filtering" requires a lot of work. it would need cleaned, at least, every day.

as for a more practical solution?
All i can suggest is playing with the position of the inlet.
though some kind of mesh, with holes JUST small enough to hold back the snails, might work.

I'm looking at the mesh around my daughters trampoline.
with something to hold it rigid, that might do the trick.

Sponge filters are the way to go, they're great! I love mine, the shrimp, snails and fry can't get sucked-up

Most reactions

Back