Snail Invasion!

Axodapanda

Reaction score
I haven't been active on this forum for a while, but a new problem has come up that i need help with.
Over the summer I noticed a snail infestation in my tank. I haven't added anything new for about 8 months, but it has probably been in there for a while.

Tank Specs:
37 Gallon
pH: 7.4
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH: I don't know
gH: I don't know
tank temperature: 77 degrees Fahrenheit

It has nothing to do with my fish, but there are a load of snails in my tank. I was fishing some out and took out 50 from a small corner. They are buried in the gravel and come out at night.
I change my water every 2 weeks

No chemicals other than the ones used to treat the tap water. I used to add in Flourish, but I have stopped.

I have:
6 Neon Tetras
6 Cherry Barbs
8 Priscilla Tetras (I think thats how you spell it)
6 Rummy nose Tetras
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
2 Clown Plecos
1 Butterfly Loach

I am just wondering if anybody has a suggestion on a way to get rid of them other than hand picking them out
smile.png
IMG_2494.jpg

While I've never tried it but heard what seems like a very good idea on this forum to collect lots of snails is too secure in some way a lettuce leaf to the bottom of your tank, the snails will make their way onto the leaf which can then be removed and either thrown out with the offending snails or wash snails off under a tap and put it back in the tank for another "harvest"

Hi, there are a couple of things you could do in order to treat the snail infestation. If you aren't averse to using chemicals then a copper based treatment such as Esha Gastropex will kill them, however you would need to dose at least twice (once to start with, once two weeks later to account for hatched eggs). Or you could put in some assassin snails which will eventually end up eating all your pest snails. These rarely (if ever) reproduce so you won't have the same problems with them as you do the pests!

Josh! said:
Hi, there are a couple of things you could do in order to treat the snail infestation. If you aren't averse to using chemicals then a copper based treatment such as Esha Gastropex will kill them, however you would need to dose at least twice (once to start with, once two weeks later to account for hatched eggs). Or you could put in some assassin snails which will eventually end up eating all your pest snails. These rarely (if ever) reproduce so you won't have the same problems with them as you do the pests!
Assassin snails are pretty good at controlling snail population, however it takes time! If you have maybe 4 or 5 then may be quicker.

They DO reproduce, albeit slowly.

My tank has got 2 adults assassin snails, and just discovered 3 baby assassins, so tiny and cute.......

Whatever you do to control the snail population, please, please don't buy Clown loaches whatever anyone tells you. They eat snails but they grow big, I know but then I also have a six foot tank.

ShinySideUp said:
Whatever you do to control the snail population, please, please don't buy Clown loaches whatever anyone tells you. They eat snails but they grow big, I know but then I also have a six foot tank.
+1

I have found a small gang of Dwarf Chain Loach very effective.

Most reactions

Back