Snail Infestation - Need Input

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bailpy6 said:
My Assassin Snail came today!! here is a pic!

attachicon.gif
IMG_20140121_164346.jpg
coolx.gif

Wow he (or she?) looks really nice! I would love one as I have more pest snails than I would like, can I ask where you bought him? Cant seem to find one anywhere near me. Thank you! :)

NeonTetra97 said:
Wow he (or she?) looks really nice! I would love one as I have more pest snails than I would like, can I ask where you bought him? Cant seem to find one anywhere near me. Thank you!
smile.png

Lots of LFS sells them, Maidenhead Aquatics and even Pets at Home have these as well.

I bought mine from M.A, think was £5 for 2, now have about 20 in tank.

Online retailers sells these as well.

Ahh Pets at Home? I had a look but they didn't have any when I went, maybe this weekend they will have some in stock. Unfortunately I have lost faith in Maidenhead, I have had loads of bad experienced with their stock, shame as I find their staff so helpful! Thanks Ch4rlie :)

NeonTetra97 said:
Ahh Pets at Home? I had a look but they didn't have any when I went, maybe this weekend they will have some in stock. Unfortunately I have lost faith in Maidenhead, I have had loads of bad experienced with their stock, shame as I find their staff so helpful! Thanks Ch4rlie
smile.png
I got mine from Maidenhead Aquatics, I've found them good. 
Not got much confidence in the local Pets at Home.
sesamuel said:
I too noticed a huge increase in snail population all of a sudden. Although I'm kinda tempted to leave them there if they are not harming the fish. They seem to be helping with the algae on the glass too hahaha...

But too many can get annoying. I might have to try the lettuce leaf approach. But what do you guys do with them after you remove the lettuce leaf? do you just chuck them outside? can they survive?
I feel bad killing them. The guy at the LFS said to look out for snail egggs and just crush them so that they don't overpopulate but I feel like some kind of a war criminal committing genocide...
sigh..
You probably don't want an Assasin snail then!...or at least not to look too closely into how they feed.

The problem is they populate a tank so quickly, I can't kill them directly either but at least this way they're food and thats a natural cycle.  Loaches apparently root around in the substrate and eat the eggs if your tank is big enough.

Yea, That Assassin snail is 100% doing the job, seen a decrease in the population already, and i actually got mine from an ebay seller, cant remember the name.

Most reactions

Back