Snail emergency??

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

caroline12

Reaction score
Soo.. my mystery snail i've had for a few weeks is floating at the top of my tank?
image.jpg
I saw you could do a "smell test" but I'm extremely nervous to and don't want to find him dead! Any recommendations? Does he look dead? Is this normal? He was been extremely active lately and I just found him like this 15 minutes ago. BTW: he had some cracks in his shell when I got him! They were bad but have healed pretty well!

I'd smell him. A dead snail can give off a pretty nasty smell. If not removed it can raise your ammonia levels quickly and dangerously

Hi, maybe don't worry at this stage. Snails can seem to ingest air and float away in search of food. Iv just had a floating snail myself until it relieved itself then cleared off to hide. Hope it's the case for you.
Haha! Thanks! I put him in his own bowl just to see if he would move around and he did so he is definitely still alive! Some air bubbles came out and he's at the bottom now!

Glad it turned out good! :)

Like @Guppy10 said he may be just floating in search of food. I have seen this many times. Pond snails seem do it all the time. They also will sit on the bottom for days without moving when they are full and digesting food.

Most reactions

Back