smelly water

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have a 20 gallon tank with about 16-20 guppies of all ages,2 catfish and 2 plecostemus. a few days after i do a75-80% eater change the water smells bad. i have an internal filter rated to handle 40 gallons and a UV sterilizer. on hand i have Prime, Accuclear,Fluval biological cleaner. i usually use the Fluval because it sounds like the least potent chemical. anybody have an answer?

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every dya for a week or two.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the aquarium.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.

Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every dya for a week or two.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the aquarium.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence.
thank you.

Fish tanks stink.

Ya get used to it. It's just the nature of the beast. You can try to control the odor with carbon, but, you'll always have some odor from algae and stuff...

Fish tanks stink.

Ya get used to it. It's just the nature of the beast. You can try to control the odor with carbon, but, you'll always have some odor from algae and stuff...
ok-i think?
i have a 20 gallon tank with about 16-20 guppies of all ages,2 catfish and 2 plecostemus. a few days after i do a75-80% eater change the water smells bad. i have an internal filter rated to handle 40 gallons and a UV sterilizer. on hand i have Prime, Accuclear,Fluval biological cleaner. i usually use the Fluval because it sounds like the least potent chemical. anybody have an answer?
earlier i smugly mentioned an incorrect spelling in a reply to a post. well, i am embarrassed to admit i spelled plecostomus incorrectly in my own post ?. i apologize. the whole “people who live in glass houses” thing etc.

Fish tanks stink.

There is aquarium smell and there is stinky tank smell caused by ammonia. Water changes and checking water quality get rid of stinky tank smell.

I found that having terrestrial plant like bamboo growing in the aquarium stops alot of the smell and only leaves a planty smell

If you are doing 75% water changes then the smell can only be from the substrate or the filter. Clean both. Also beware of adding too much food as rotting food could collect in the filter and would smell. Add some carbon to the cleaned filter to remove the last of the smell.

The smell of fish tanks is no longer strange to aquarists. It has many causes. It can be due to the destruction of decomposing plants, dead fish rotting, too much excess food, etc. So, to get rid of the fish tank smell, I think it is necessary to consider air humidity and check the filtration system regularly to prevent the development of odors. Make a proper tank maintenance schedule and change the water as soon as necessary to prevent complications later on.

Last edited:
Old thread, OP hasn't replied in nearly a year....hopefully, he/she got the smelly situation under control

The smell of fish tanks is no longer strange to aquarists. It has many causes. It can be due to the destruction of decomposing plants, dead fish rotting, too much excess food, etc. So, to get rid of the fish tank smell, I think it is necessary to consider air humidity and check the filtration system regularly to prevent the development of odors. Make a proper tank maintenance schedule and change the water as soon as necessary to prevent complications later on.
hi- thanks
this question is for everyone:

would an automatic fish food dispenser help me not overfeed?
i have about 20 birds including 15 little finches. it’s full time cleaning and feeding etc. i admit i don’t have a regular cleaning schedule for my 20 gallon tank of guppies and bottom feeders. when i clean the gravel and filters there is slimy gunk and especially if it’s been too long in between. i feel guilty as well as so grossed out. i gave some fish to petco and have asked everyone i know if they want guppies. lol
any ideas besides the obvious- clean more often-?

Automatic fish feeders don't really help you feed less. If you don't have time to feed the fish every day, don't worry about it. The fish will be fine getting fed every second day.

Birds shouldn't take too long to feed and water each day. If you have them in individual cages they might and if this is the case, perhaps look into getting an aviary. You have fewer feeding and water points in an aviary and the birds have more room to fly about.

Automatic fish feeders don't really help you feed less. If you don't have time to feed the fish every day, don't worry about it. The fish will be fine getting fed every second day.

Birds shouldn't take too long to feed and water each day. If you have them in individual cages they might and if this is the case, perhaps look into getting an aviary. You have fewer feeding and water points in an aviary and the birds have more room to fly about.
thanks Colin- i have 2 aviaries for the finches. the parrots need separate ( large space) cages. the sparrows are males and fight so two cages. vet treating starling for mites and cockatiel is 27 years old and very territorial with. lovebird is still a baby and i want to keep taming her- best alone so she bonds to me. i love all my birds- each has a special personality. it’s me that seems less energetic.
but my pets come first and if that’s all i accomplish in a day that’s fine.
not complaining- just explaining why my guppies sometimes are last as it is i stay up to dawn to do everybody. they’re all worth it. ❤️

Most reactions

Back