Small transportable aquarium?

There are several ways you can do this.
1) Set up a second aquarium at the work site and just transport the fish in a bag of water. Have both tanks set up the same and use the same water for them.

To transport the fish just pop it in a large fish bag half filled with tank water and half air. Seal it up and put it in an esky (cooler). Keep it somewhere safe and not too cold in the car.

2) Get another aquarium made of thicker glass or plastic, and keep it empty. Have a second set of filter, gravel, ornaments and other items in a bucket. Bag the fish up and put it in the car with the tank and go for a drive.

A small 5-10 gallon tank made of 6mm thick glass will transport pretty safely. Just put it on a block of foam or a pillow and pack some blankets around it.

Alternatively there are plastic aquariums with coloured lids available from Kmart and places like that. Some pet shops sell them too. Take one of those with you and a spare bucket.

I would take the filter media with you in a separate bucket of water.

Leave one tank at home with water in. Take the fish and filter in a couple of buckets or bags of tank water. Take the second tank. Set it all up at the new place.

Use a fine mesh net or cup to scoop him out.

-------------------
Alternatively just leave the fish at home and have lots of plants in the tank. Feed him well while you are there and let him go hungry while your away. If you can get someone to pop in once a week and add a bit of food and make sure he is alright, that is even better.

The thing is here it's not just taking the fish on holiday once a year; it's not just transporting the fish to and from college every vacation. It's catching the fish and bagging it, transporting it then setting the tank back up; 2 weeks later catch the fish and bag it up; 2 weeks later catch the fish and bag it up; 2 weeks later catch the fish and bag it up; 2 weeks later catch the fish and bag it up; 2 weeks later catch the fish and bag it up and so on indefinitely.

Either don't get a fish or, as Colin suggested, leave it behind and get someone else to feed it during the 2 weeks you are not there.

I myself wouldn't do the continuously transporting either. But it is possible. But wouldn't go for a fishtank to transport but more what Colin already mentioned:
1) Set up a second aquarium at the work site and just transport the fish in a bag of water. Have both tanks set up the same and use the same water for them.
I also have to say that it also depends on what kind of fish we're dealing with. In this case, a betta. They are hardy enough to do this. But again, I myself wouldn't start doing this if I had to deal with this dilemma.

But I would follow the remark to don't get a fish if you have to travel that much... Or be sure that someone else can look after the fish while you're on the other location.

Most reactions

Back