Small Reptiles

There is a snake which eats insects but it is not handable :blink:
is it really aggressive?
what do the really small snakes eat? surely they can have only baby mice as they would be too big.

i do like the leopard geckos, but i like the idea of having a smaller reptile, and a gecko that climbs up walls etc, lol.
thanks for all your help guys.

is it really aggressive?
what do the really small snakes eat? surely they can have only baby mice as they would be too big.

i do like the leopard geckos, but i like the idea of having a smaller reptile, and a gecko that climbs up walls etc, lol.

I know that Skunk Geckos (named for coloring, NOT smell lol) can climb vertical surfaces. They can get to about 9-10 inches though.

Did you check out the link for those dwarf geckos I posted? I'm just not sure how available they would be and how much they would cost lol

is it really aggressive?

I know that Skunk Geckos (named for coloring, NOT smell lol) can climb vertical surfaces. They can get to about 9-10 inches though.

Did you check out the link for those dwarf geckos I posted? I'm just not sure how available they would be and how much they would cost lol
those dwarf sand geckos look perfect. but i wouldnt be sure how available they would be. cost wouldnt be too much of a problem, i could save up. i will visit a few reptile shops when i get a chance and see what they say

Can you resist :hyper:
Picture002-1.jpg

i admit its cute, but i think all geckos are. its just leopard geckos need floor space, and i havent the room for a long tank. sorry.

(note; i have the same cave in one of my fish tanks, lol. good choice)

theres alot of research to be done before you get any reptile.

almost all reptiles NEED a heat light/mat, and some need UV lighting. or some requir all of these. small lizards are day geckos, anoles, newts, chameleons, frogs, scorpians, and toads. most reptiles do eat live foods, e.g crickets.

but do alot of research first because there is alot to learn. trust me!

Indeed, but if you do get a scorpion, don't use UV, only incandescent and even then red or blue. UV is highly detrimental to arachnids. In fact, they avoid the sun like Dracula. The reason I said red or blue incandescent light is one, incandescents don't emit UV unless specially treated, and two, scorps can't see red or blue.

well i wont be getting a scorpion, im scard of them,a nd getting stung. and my mum may not be too happy either, warming to the leo's. just working on my parents and looking for space for the tank.

How much floorspace and how tall can you get? Maybe a small python/boa? If you avoided handleing tokays are an excellant choice.

thanks for the idea, but im not a big fan of snakes, i like them dont get me wrong, but keeping mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc as pets, i would feel bad feeding frozen food to my snakes. thats why i would prefer to only feed insects. im sorry im picky, but i would like a reptile i am compleatly happy with, and wont lose intrest with and beable to give the best care. i would like to handle the reptile too, so far, its either a leopard gecko, the dwarf sand geckos or still thinking about pygmy chameleons, only thing is, most are wild caught, and i dont like having animals from the wild, i prefer captive bred.
im not rushing into things anyway, so plenty of time to decide. a tall tank shouldnt be a problem, its width that i may struggle with. i could probally get 24 inches of floor space somewhere, but high i could be very tall.

Boids aren't a good snake if you want small. The smallest python/boa I know of is the male kenyan sand boa. And even then they're incredibly strong. Rough green snakes can be kept in a 10 gal however. And they, contrary to what was previously said, can be handled. But only with great care, and here's a bonus, RGS's can't eat rodents, the biggest prey they eat in the wild are frogs, and even then it's a struggle. They can be sustained on a diet consisting of mealwords, feeder minnows in the water bowl, and crickets.

I've got some dwarf sand geckos (Triopicalctes triopicalctes) which are gorgeous to the extreme, they don't climb , but you can keep a group in a 10 gallon tank. Easy care, though the do need a heat source and eat small crickets (so you need to be able to get them). I don't know how easy they are to get near you, but I have seen them on the net every now and then. They are lovely little creatures that have almost no fear (or mine don't) and though they are supposedly nocternal, mine are out some of the day and all of the evening. they are very small though, and when mine layed eggs the size of a small jelly bean I was shocked they could lay such a "huge" egg - they are very ferosious hunters and very pretty.

Pyxie frog or Pacman frog can work great in a 20 gallon tank, not incredibally active but you'll see more than the pygmy chameleons or the leos (cant say on the sand gecko). I don't think you have to feed them mice, I'm sure they can do just fine on a diet of dusted crickets or roaches. 20 gallon I think is 30 inches. Pacman may even be able to live in a 10 as its not as big as a pyxie (who grow pretty massive..)

thanks for all your great suggestions.
sorry to sound rude or nasty. but ive been having talks with my mum, and she said i can get a small reptile on the conditions
1. i look after it
2. i pay for everything
3. no frozen mice or mammales in freezer
4. no snakes for the reason about
5. if any live bugs escape, im dead, lol

sorry for being picky people, but my mum has spoken! reading about the snake that doesnt eat mammals. doesnt sound bad, but i may feel guilty about feeding minnows when i keep them. i know it sounds sad, but i would atleats like a reptile i can care for well and give the best care, with feeding minnows, i may slip.but thanks for the info the_dude. ;)
thanks for the frog idea too t1tanrush, but surley you cant handle them, and without being offensive, may be a little boring :/

now the biggest terrium i can get is a 18x18x18 inch. i can add a heat mat, heat bulb, sunlight strip light if needed. (or other thing if nessary) i also work on saturday at a petstore, and get a discount on the terrium, but also live food. locusts, silent crickets, black crictets, wax worms, meal worms or mario worms (they bite!) discount on these too. only thing i couldnt get from the shop is the reptile, only beaded dragons or tortoises for sale. but i can get it from another good place i know.
im likeing the dwarf sand geckos more now. have researched them more and they are becomming more appleaing to me.
also the leopard geckos are getting better. now i think its a toss up between the two. i cant think of anyother reptile that would be happy ina 18x18x18 cube. and i may leave the pygmy chameleons for now till i get better experience in keeping reptiles. and again to save people time, scorpions, spiders, snakes, frogs/toads and bugs are off the list, sorry but its pointless you writing a intresting piece about them when im not going to use it :good: but thanks anyway.
i was looking at other geckos recommended, but they are wild caught and i wouldnt be happy owning one which was wild caught and they can be hard to get feeding and i would be upset if it died.

right now, im currently carring on with research on leopard geckos and dwarf sand geckos, again would welcome ore suggestions that havent been said.
i do thank everyone for the help. i know i refuse a lot of good suggestions, but some are just not for me.

Most reactions

Back