Small Reptiles

fishboy619

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i was looking at getting a small viverium and wondered what reptiles would be best placed into the viverium. i would like something that stays small, and easy to care for. is there any reptile that could do with out a heat lamp/heat mat? or do all reptiles need one. it will be probally a taller tank, but still small. was thinking of either pygmy chameleons, or some sort of small lizzard/gecko. also are they any frogs that could do well in small viveriums, like tree frogs or something. the will be limited floor space, so something that spends most time off ground would be best. any ideas. im compleatly open to suggestions for the viverium, frogs, lizzards, geckos, anything? also, how to basicly look after them, would i need to feed live food (that wouldnt be a problem), do they need a special light, or something simular.
cheers in advance,

Just an FYI...chameleons aren't that easy to care for.

One of the easier "starter" reptiles are Leopard Geckos. Leos need a UTH (under tank heater) as they need belly heat for digestion. They don't need heat lamps. I prefer one, but that's up to you.

Leos need to be fed live food. Meal worms, crickets (yuck), roaches, etc. They go after the movement. You also don't want to feed them dead because the insect might have a parasite or other yuck

All reptiles need some type of heat source; whether it be a heat/basking lamp or a heat mat

Oh...and leos need at least a 10 gal. I have mine in a 20 gal long, but once again that's just my personal choice :)

Some people will disagree on the minimum of 10 gal and say they can be kept in smaller quarters...but I don't think that's fair to the leo

theres alot of research to be done before you get any reptile.

almost all reptiles NEED a heat light/mat, and some need UV lighting. or some requir all of these. small lizards are day geckos, anoles, newts, chameleons, frogs, scorpians, and toads. most reptiles do eat live foods, e.g crickets.

but do alot of research first because there is alot to learn. trust me!

I had two Chinese waterdragons and two bearded dragons, and I cant tell you that they arent the easiest to care for, the beardie more then the waterdragon...

There is actually a certain type of gecko that only needs a 5 gallon tank when young and 10 gallon when an adult, but I cant remember what the name of it was.

There is actually a certain type of gecko that only needs a 5 gallon tank when young and 10 gallon when an adult, but I cant remember what the name of it was.

I know what you're talking about, but I can't think of the name either lol

I meant that leopard geckos need at least 10 gal :)

theres alot of research to be done before you get any reptile.

almost all reptiles NEED a heat light/mat, and some need UV lighting. or some requir all of these. small lizards are day geckos, anoles, newts, chameleons, frogs, scorpians, and toads. most reptiles do eat live foods, e.g crickets.

but do alot of research first because there is alot to learn. trust me!
i am doing a lot of research first, thats why i asked here, and looking for somewhere to start. i would never buy any animal unless i had done plenty of research before hand. the thing is, i would like a small, easy to care for reptile, but dont know where to start, if i am given a species, i can do more research, like the leopard geckos for example, i can do research on them now i know what im looking at.surley they wouldnt sell a small, tall tank when no reptile can live in it. thats what im after, a inhabitant for it. they must be a betta equivlant for the reptile world able to live in small tanks, is they any small lizzards or geckos? and like i said before, feeding live food doesnt bother me, i can pick them up from work. brown/black crickets, mealworms, marios, wax worms, loucusts. i was asking about the heatlamps as i thought some reptiles could live with just a heat mat. and could anyone explain what UV lighting helps with reptiles, do it act like the sun. giving the rays the reptile needs?
thanks for the help, and more please.

Yep, UV (full spectrum) lights are designed to mimic the sun's output...

You could look at keeping poison arrow frogs (Dendrobates) and might be able to keep a pair of them in the vivarium, but thinking about it as your viv is a tall one why not consider tree frogs (Caresheet for tree frogs).

i will look into the tree frogs thanks. i would probally be a little scared of the poison arror frogs escaping or poisoning me, lol. maybe when i get some experience.

i think anoles would be good for your tank. they dont like to be handled, pluss there way to fast to catch if it got out the viv! so my advice is not to handle them unless its a must! theres newts, i have 4 of them but they dont do much.

i like frogs, when i built my vivs i thought...a frog would look nice in that viv, but never got round to getting one. but my geckos have a new viv, and that means there old one is spare. poison arrows might be on my shopping list!

have you thought of spiders?

i would prefer to handle my reptile, and something quick isnt the best, if it escaped i would be devastated. not saying it has to be tortoise slow, just not super quick.
what newts do you keep?
spiders are a NO, my mum doesnt like them, i dont like them, lol. most bugs dont bother me, but spiders are the only one. thanks for your suggestion, but spiders are off the list.

Crested geckos, leopard geckos & AFTG's are your only choice really, thats if you want an animal which can have a small tank, easy maintenance and no special requirements (IE UV lamp).If you do get a leo i would reccomend getting one atleast 5 months, then they will be big enough and (hopefully) tame enough to be easily handled without hurting them.They are very squirmy when little! :rolleyes:

thanks, what are AFTG's?
arent they any dwarf geckos, i found some on google, but very little info about them, are they rare?
what about small snakes, do all snakes eat mice and other baby mammals, or can they eat insects?

thanks, what are AFTG's?
arent they any dwarf geckos, i found some on google, but very little info about them, are they rare?
what about small snakes, do all snakes eat mice and other baby mammals, or can they eat insects?

AFTG's are African fat tail geckos

Yes, there are a few types of dwarf geckos. I actually think this would be a good one for you: http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/careshe...fsandgecko.html

Snakes don't eat insects for the most part. I know there are snakes that eat worms, though

I'm sure someone will know more about snakes than I can tell you lol

There is a snake which eats insects but it is not handable :blink:

Most reactions

Back