Small Natural Pond

Robert247

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of making a small pond, i want to keep it simple so i was thinking of using a preformed pond and as i am not realy interested in goldfish i was thinking of making a natural pond. It will only be somthing small like a Wagtail (Dimensions: Length 134cm x Width 89cm x Depth 41cm Volume: 135 Litres (30 Gallons)) but i was wondering whether preformed are ok for a natural pond as they look quite steep on the sides and another thing is can you use a pump for a fountain or a warerfall in a natural pond or is this not recomended, could it suck up little critters? I would like to have frogs and newts maby is this possible? i dont realy know much about ponds but i have had tropical and marine aquariums for a couple of years.
and if i do use liner is pvc or rubber better (whats the difference?)

I don't see any reason why you can't use a preformed liner. But you will probably need to position some rocks in the pond to allow frogs and newts access in and out.

If you use liner ( ordinary bog standard plastic liner will be fine ) and dig your own pond, I think it would be better as you can shape the sides in such a way that you can place rocks and plants more comfortably , in which case you can have one end deep ( I'd go for about 3 feet deep ) and then "steps" up to the shallow end so you can have marginal plants, reeds and bog grasses ect, and frogs and newts will be able to get in and out easily.

Don't forget, when you've dug and shaped the hole, line it with a layer of sand to stop any sharp stones ect piercing the liner.

For a natural pond you don't absolutely need a pump/filter or anything, and it may indeed suck up any pondlife if you don't put some mesh over the intake to stop things like tadpoles being sucked in , but a small gentle pond filter may help keep things ticking over. . Also, frogs and newts like to live and spawn in still water, so any sort of fountain or fairly noticeable water movement may disturb them if it blows round the whole pond.

Just don't have it too neat and tidy. Natural ponds have loads of plants and long grass at the edges, which bugs and amphibians like to hide in. so when you cut the lawn ect , just leave a good margin of uncut grass and weeds around the pond.

ok thanks maby i will use liner at least that way i can make it exactly the shape and size i want it. do you have to use a substrate when the pond is finished and are there any native fish that will not upset frogspawn tadpoles and newts ect and any suggestions on native plants? (uk)

instead of sand can you use the underlay?
and yes maby not fish

Yes I would think you can use underlay, as long as you cut the pieces to fit all the shapes and steps you cut, otherwise it might be a bit deformed looking! I just suggested sand because that's what I've seen used most commonly.

Most ponds just have mud and silt at the bottom which collects over time, but you could use some small grade plain washed gravel, and maybe add some big smooth pebbles or rocks for things to hide under.

Not too sure of native british plants, your best bet would be to type " native british pond plants " into google and see what you get. Or maybe ask at a garden centre?

As for native fish...if the pond is only a little one I wouldn't bother really, just stick to attracting amphibians and insects. Also, fish may try to eat young frogs and newts if you have them.

thanks for the info i used a fine sand for the bottom as well as underlay and a good quality rubber liner as the soil was full of all sorts of sharp objects broken glass pottery of some sort and had gravely stuff it was a pain to dig but it looks ok its not brilllient as it is a bit creased but its fine for what i want. The waters all in it i just need to sort out the edges it measures 96cm wide x 181cm long x 50cm deep.

Hi Robert247
I have a small natural pond in my garden. It's just a pre-formed black plastic job that was already in the garden when I moved in. It's planted with a mini sedge, which has seedheads like little pompoms and another plant (sorry, forgot what it's called) with yellow flowers. Whatch out for duckweed hitching a ride on the plants you buy, it will smother your pond in no time and you'll have a never-ending job netting it off the surface. I have also planted a couple of grasses next to the pond, they shade the pond in summer and also make great hiding places for baby frogs and perches for damselflies. My local garden centre stocks loads of plants for small ponds and the assistants did a great job in helping me pick out plants that would stay small. I've piled a few large stones around the plant pots so the top of the pile sticks out of the water for frogs to get in and out. And birds can perch on the stones to drink or bath. Hope this helps. Enjoy your pond!

Most reactions

Back