Small hole on dorsal fin.... would be pH?

Good. Yes, water changes (including a good deep vacuum of the substrate, and keeping the filter clean) do work to eliminate cyanobacteria in time, as you are removing organics that feed it. Once things are in biological balance, the problem should be solved.

Every fancy Betta has fins that are too big, and little tears are a part of him using them. It goes with the fins we want. They rip.

Cyano? Here, it's an occasional pest even though I am a water change fanatic. It likes water changes. It doesn't seem to like attention being paid to the filtration media.

It likes water changes.

Yes, this is not surprising. The often high dissolved organics in tap water are food for it. But of course we have to get as muchof the organic/nutrient gunk our of the tank to starve it, and the water change provided it includes deep substrate cleaning and sucks out as much of the cyano as possible will overbalance the organics issue. At least that is the thinking/intention.

When I'm trying to find bettas with shorter fins, I didn't find. I only found it when I already bought this betta...

This is the first time I'm using a sponge filter since I always used hang-on filters with Sera Siporax Mini and some pads (the white "wool" that's used for filling patchwork).

To remove the cyanobacteria from my plants (Ceratophyllum demersum, Elodea sp. and Salvinia minima), what could be done? Is there any brush for this? I usually take these plants to a separate bucket during my partial water change. On this bucket, also, I take the "old water" from each water change.

It seems that these bacteria like more stagnated water. Even with the sponge filter with larger flow rate, some calm water zones form on the aquarium surface (where my betta also likes),

To remove the cyanobacteria from my plants (Ceratophyllum demersum, Elodea sp. and Salvinia minima), what could be done? Is there any brush for this? I usually take these plants to a separate bucket during my partial water change. On this bucket, also, I take the "old water" from each water change.

It seems that these bacteria like more stagnated water. Even with the sponge filter with larger flow rate, some calm water zones form on the aquarium surface (where my betta also likes),

Cyanobacteria is caused by organics in the presence of light. Water flow may or may not encourage it, I've no idea, but it does not cause it. It is easy to remove, just use your fingertips and gently rub the plant leaf and the cyano sheets will fall off and sink to the substrate. When you've got as much loose as you can, siphon it out with a water change. It will take a few probably, but you will win in the end.

In some labs there are brushs like this below:
1688309560051.png

Would be this brush good to remove cyanobacteria from my plants? Would be safe for aquarium water? Obviously, spinning this in the aquarium directly would stress the betta, then I would do this in a separate bucket.

I shouldn't think it would be much good, cyanobacteria is a slime...a brush like that would be good against hair algae

Let's bring some updates...

Well, a few days ago I noted a different thing on my Betta splendens.

What would be this red thing on his upper right operculum?

Besides this, I noted another small hole, this time on his tail fin...

Measured ammonia, nitrite, and pH, where I got 0, 0, and 7.5, respectively. Temperature is 26 ºC.

Yeah... well, once again, I'll increase the frequency of partial water changes.

This video below I recorded a few days ago. What would be this thing on his caudal fin? Curiously, this thing disappeared and another similar thing appeared, but on another region from the fish's fin.

Yesterday, I also noted that there is a rip on his caudal fin. However, it seems that the cyanobacteria problem is better than a few weeks ago.

The parameters remain the same since starting of this thread. Also, I saw the betta's fin getting tangled up on a hornwort. Would be this one of the possible causes?

How's the aquarium design currently:
1692397673983.jpeg

@Essjay you have bettas, my eyes can't see these things well enough.

I can't see anything except a bit of damage on the outer edge of the fin. That could be healing finrot or physical damage from rough decor or even him biting it.

Fin biting is when the betta bends himself and bites the edge of his tail fin. It is more common in those bettas with very full, heavy tails and reasons have been suggested as boredom to trying to remove some of the weight.

I couldn't see any holes in your images or video, except slight damage to a small section of the edge of the tail fin.

Most reactions

Back