Small Active Fish.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
I am looking for a fish that-
- doesn't get bigger than 10cm ( 4 inches ), active, not schooling ( fine by itself ), pretty and ,above all, compatible with neon tetras.
Thanks

That's an idea. my tank is a biorb 105 and due to limited surface area would gouramis do well?

I'm not sure about the surface area. It don't think the tank will have the length for a banded gourami. The bio orb is a lot taller than most tanks and thy are very active fish.

You'd be fine with honey Gouramis but they won't be the centre piece fish you sound like you're after.

Are honey gouramis just a variant of dwarves? I am always hesitant about the dwarf gouramis due to iridovirus.

Not If you get Trichogaster chuna - they are a completely separate species and are no more related to dwarves than other Gouramis.

I believe there is a dwarf variant called a dwarf honey, however, they are quite rare an I've never seen one in a LFS. Check the scientific name to be sure if buying.

As well as not being infected honey gourami are smaller and less aggresive than a dwarf.

COuldnt find honey gouramis but I saw some electric blue rams. Would those work? Didn't buy because I didn't know much about them.

TallTree01 said:
COuldnt find honey gouramis but I saw some electric blue rams. Would those work? Didn't buy because I didn't know much about them.
I heard blue and gold rams are harder to kept because of their special needed water parameters. I have bolivian rams which are alot easier to keep and are pretty good looking, active, and very friendly, they get around 2.5-3inches. Other gouramis could be gold gourami 4inches(i have one with glowlight and neon tetras), neon blue dwarf gourami 2 inches, honey gourami 2 inches, dwarf flame gourami 2 inches, pearl gourami 4 inches, and more.

I've heard on occasion rams will be territorial to other fish species as well as their own kind

rams or cichlids can be agressive from what ive heard, its a tough request because most small fish, passive are schooling, a really nice guppie can be great, if that is too small than maybe a pretty platy or swordtail, some a plane but some mickey mouse, blue, or twinbars are quite pretty. and they are know for being playful, some stories include them riding the current of the filter over and over again :)

Saw some swordtails today. do they like groups or do they fight? Are they like guppies that breed like crazy? Are they Nasty to neon tetras?

They are fine with neons, they do breed like other livebearers and they are fine in few numbers ( if your going to mix male and female, make sure your 2 or 3 females per males )  The only difference between male and female swords is the extended tail on the males.  Otherwise, female swords look like most platys do, and you can get some good looking platy

swordtails do fine singlular and in small groups. be careful with sexing lime what phantom said. sometimes males may not have the tail extension cuz someties platys and swordtails interbread and some weird hybrids are floating around. look at the anal fin, if its rounded then it is a girl but if its rod shaped then its a male. males can be kept with just males and do fine also!

Most reactions

Back