sludge

bsusdy

Reaction score
i had a tank that i setup like a year ago, and during that year this brown, dirt, sludgy kind of substance has been building up in the filter and it made the entire tank dirty. i have a new tank and i dont want that to happen there, how do i prevent this?

Brown sludge is organic matter, what you want out of the aquarium as soon as it appears. This is usually in the filter. It can be a source of nitrates usually, another bad for the fish.

Rinse out your filter media in the old tank water when you do water changes. Use a pipe brush to clean out the intake tubing every once in a while. Whatever kind of filter you have, there's probably a video on Youtube for how to clean it.

Also...Don't over feed the fish. They really don't need a lot as they are exothermic so do not use food to keep warm. Shrimp and snails rarely need supplementing with food as they will find all sorts of micro-organisms in the tank. Too much food will add to the mulm and increase fish waste.
Do large weekly water changes and clean the substrate to prevent organics building up.

Most reactions

Back