Slight haze in the tank

Turns out - my tap water is slightly alkaline. Leaving a glass of water for 24 hours and then testing it reveals that it has a PH of about 8. So that's something I will probably address with RO water, which will equally solve the water hardness issue. I note there are some RO kits on Amazon for around the £50 mark - are any of these any good?

It doesn't resolve the slight haze issue, which does seem to have improved slightly, but not much.

My aquarist is also not interested in taking back the gold laser corys :-(

Hi,

I've been running a 110 litre tank for a couple months now and for better or worse (bad advice), it went through the Nitrogen Cycle fish in with 5 silver tipped tetras. All survived.

Daily testing with the API master test kit finally proved after 5 weeks, the cycle was completed. SO I added three plants at this stage.

I added 5 more silver tipped Tetras. Water looking lovely and clear.

All being well - a week later I added six corys - 3 x Julii Leopards and 3 x Peru Gold laser stripes and 4 snails to help with the algae.
(on a separate note, the 3 x gold laser are always hiding??)

Since then, there has been a constant haze for several weeks- nothing as bad as a bacterial bloom, but a slight haze which shows more at the rear. I am changing out about 35 litres every other week and I have gently rinsed out the filter in tank water (plus re-arranged the filtration to mechanical, biological and chemical) on a separate occasion. It uses an Aqua One Moray 700 filter.

I tried replacing the course sponge with a combination of course/medium/fine sponge, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

The parameters today look okay (see attached)

PH - 8-8.2
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20-40ppm

The pictures I attach show the slight 'haze' in the back of the tank and I've included pictures of my other tank which is perfectly clear.

Anyone got any ideas? what I might have done or doing wrong?
That’s a beautiful setup & I’m not seeing much haze. Could it be due to lighting? I observed months ago my goldfish tank looks less than crystal clear at certain times of the day. It’s near a window. When I look directly down rather than through the side, the water is clear.

Likely the issue will resolve on it‘s own soon enough.

l

Sooooo
My local aquarist took back the unhappy gold laser stripe Cory's. Were a bugger to catch but they looked very healthy. Ah well. Replaced with 4 more Julii leopards and introduced 3 X Boesmani Rainbowfish. Turns out they sell RO water for 10p a litre! So bought 25 straight off. Happy days!

I know your are trying to isolate the issue, and Ive been watching your thread with keen interest as I suspect I probably had a similar problem with milky haze due to black gravel. My tank is also placed near a window which gets plenty of light.

I went to my trusted source on Friday just gone and got API ACCU-CLEAR and a couple of plants; ok not 100% certain on the source of the issue, but water is Crystal Palace now.
(Kicking goals and Winning ...)

Last edited:
Accu Clear works by clumping tiny particles into larger particles big enough to get trapped by the filter. They also stick to fish's gills. That's why these flocculants, of any brand, are not recommended when there are fish in a tank as regular use can harm the fish. One off should be OK though.

Accu Clear works by clumping tiny particles into larger particles big enough to get trapped by the filter. They also stick to fish's gills. That's why these flocculants, of any brand, are not recommended when there are fish in a tank as regular use can harm the fish. One off should be OK though.

had an inkling it was not conducive given how quickly it worked,
hoped otherwise as it was a solution prorated
really appreciate the reply,

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back