Sleep

All creatures have to "sleep," or else they would die. When you sleep, your body has a chance to repair itself and it's characterized by different wave patterns generated by the brain. I think it's probably better to call it rest in fish though as their brains don't go through the same patterns as humans, or other many other animals. Many fish appear not to sleep because they lack eye lids, but they do go through a resting period. There are some sharks that rest while moving. If they were to stop moving, the water flow would stop, and they wouldn't be able to breath- so they actually swim and sleep at the same time.

Unlike humans, a betta's brain does not go completely inactive as far as motor function and coherency. If I'm correct, they have the ability to keep certain areas of the brain active for survival.

If you ever turn the lights on when a betta has been sitting in the dark, it can take them a bit to "snap out" of their trance. Or turn on a dim light at night and you can usually catch them drifting around their tanks aimlessly or resting on a plant.

If you are asking this question in regards to whether or not you should try to provide them with a natural environment, you should. Don't leave their lights on at night.

:) The question comes from when I got home from work tonight Fred was by the heater in the corner of his tank, he dropped to the bottom of the tank and looked kind of dazed. His pectal (the fins on this sides) weren't moving and he just kind of laid on the bottom. First I freaked out :hyper:Second I went for the net. I figured I would put him in a glass with only a little water so he could get to the top and breath. But I had done my weekly water change this morning so my net was in the dish drainer not by the tank. By the time I had gotten back with the net, there was Fred, doing his food dance, just wiggling his tail off, begging for his dinner. :blink: Silly fish.... I could have killed him!

lol. then you have probably just witnessed the stunned betta that got a rude awakening (and he returned the favor) :p

Most reactions

Back