slate

mypapercuthurts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
do you think i could put slate like rocks probably slate in my tank. the slate has some white spots in it i thought i would look good. Oh my house is right ontop of a big chunk of slate (its big like a car :D )

Most rock types are safe for use in aquariums as long as they have no sharp edges, are not "suprisingly" heavy and are non-calcareous.

Sharp edges, the danger is obvious.

Overly heavy rock often contains metal ores. Some of these are harmless, but unless you know what the ores are, it is best to avoid them. If rock A feels a lot heavier then rock B which is the same size, don't use it. Metals can leach from the ores and poison the tank.

Calcareous rocks will dissolve slowly in your water, raising both the pH and hardness. This is undesirable in most freshwater setups, but ideal in marine and rift valley tanks. If a rock fizzes when you put vinegar on it, don't use it.

As always, anything introduced to the tank should be thouroughly cleaned. Any rocks which have been in a garden or similar environment where they may have been sprayed with insecticides or herbicides need particular attention.

it will probably be fine, some other users here have done it, just to be sure do the vinager test, and boil it for an hour :)

:clap: Your doing ONE of the Favorite things I've always Loved to do since I first started keeping fish!

Rock Collecting. It's not only Saves you money from Buying them from the PS, it's also Rewarding after Spending time Looking for "JUST THAT" Perfect Rock for your Tank, And Clening it Up "QUITE" Well, getting the chance to Watch them Swim around and Peck on it HAPPLY...

Slate SHOULD be Fine, I've used it before WITHOUT Problems.
Although I've never seen Slate With Spots in it, though I've Seen Red Slate with some Brown Mixed in with it.
It sounds Beautiful and Should make a Wonderful edition to your tank.

Using Viniger to Check and if it FIZZES the Rock is UNSAFE for your tank, is TRUE I've been using this "TRICK" for years and it Works Well.
I usually Sterilize the Rocks that I Collect by Soaking them in a Sink Full of Hot Water mixed in 25% Bleach for about a Hour, and then Scrubbing them throughly with a "GOOD STIFF BRUSH" under Hot Running Water, Then Boil them in a Pan on my Stove for About an Hour, then take them Out of the Water and Put them on a Towel to allow them to COOL and DRY.

This May be "OVER KILL" but I don't believe in taking Chances.
After all my Fishes Very lives are at Stake... :crazy:

Many slates, especially the darker blue slates have "reduction spots" in them. These are light coloured, usually slightly greenish. This happens when the Iron ion's in the rock are treated at high pressure and moderate temperatures, (i.e. perfect metamorphic environment for slate production). The Ferric Fe+++ ions are reduced to Ferrous Fe++ ions which are a lot less colour dense. These spots are harmless.

It is always worth checking with vinegar, because often rocks are later percolated by mineral rich water which can deposit other minerals, including calcite, which will react with vinegar.

Most reactions

Back