Skin Inflammation On Gourami

Attar

Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know what is wrong with the skin surrounding the pectoral fin of my male pearl gourami? The area seems to have lost the scales and has the appearance of inflamed tissue. I have included some pictures with one of a close-up of the affected area.

My water parameters are fine; ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10.

None of the other fish in the tank are sick.

The gourami in question does not act sick. He eats very well and his behavior is normal.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the input. Thanks!

Attachments

• pic_2.jpg
    pic_2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 67
  • pic_3.jpg
    pic_3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 52
  • pic_4a.jpg
    pic_4a.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 45
Thats nasty its bacterial which gouramis are prone to.
Get going with a good bacterial med like maracyn plus.
If you have antibiotics I would issolate the fish and get going with them, as sore skin like that can soon develope into holes.

Thanks for your help. I have isolated him in a quarantine tank and have started a treatment of kanamycin (Kanaplex from Seachem). I started the treatment yesterday and the directions say to treat every second day. The inflammation seems a little less "angry" looking tonight so hopefully it is working. Thanks again! :)

I have a gourami with a spot like that too. I thought it was from my mollie picking on him. I am currently traeting another fish for tail rot. It is Aquaticure amoxicillin 250 mg capsules.
Will that clear up a bacterial infection too ?

I have a gourami with a spot like that too. I thought it was from my mollie picking on him. I am currently traeting another fish for tail rot. It is Aquaticure amoxicillin 250 mg capsules.
Will that clear up a bacterial infection too ?

Yes amoxicillin is an antibiotic so it will help certain bacterial infections. The question I have trouble with is which antibiotic is good for which type of bacterial infection. I am using kanamycin and if there is no improvement after that treatment then I might try neomycin.

I'm sorry I'm not much help, good luck! :)

I am using kanamycin and if there is no improvement after that treatment then I might try neomycin.

Well I'm on the final dose of kanamycin for the skin inflammation on my gourami and it looks only very slightly better. I have been doing more reading and am wanting to try "PolyGuard" by Seachem. Here is some information on it:

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/PolyGuard.html

Anyone have any experience with this or similar medication for treatment of these ulcer-like inflammations? ????
Thanks!

Most reactions

Back