Skimmer Revelation?

ikon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i set up my new berlin skimmer in-sump..this was really an accident and i dont know why i never thought of this before...i positioned the skimmer feed pump right below the drain pipe from the main tank above. this drain pipe creates LOTS of small bubbles when it falls into the sump. the pump sucks them right in and creates immaculate bubble-ry in the skimmer! haha ..obviously someone has done this before but DAMN its working wonders! the skimmer is made of clear plastic so you can see all of the micro bubbles rushing through it and the cup fills with skimmate at ridiculous speed, hell of a lot faster then my aqua c. this pretty much defeats the need for needlewheel or impeller mods, as well as venturi feeds. interested to know if anyone else has done this? will take some pics if you want to see

DSCF0004-1.jpg

Sounds good :good:

One note though and i hopeits just the way the picture was taken. Those ppes feeding intothe skimmer.. are they copper :blink:

It might just be a brownish plastic of course :blush:

hah, no copper..its brown (old) rubber tube

I do the exact same thing Ikon :D. My overflow box feeds right next to the maxijet 1200 that I have powering my Euroreef which uses the Sedra 5000 pump for re-circ. The bubbles coming from my sump actually get through the maxijet pretty "whole" in my case but the sedra with the needlewheel makes them a good fine spray :D

Fletch do the mesh mod on that Sedra pump and you'll wonder why you hadn't done it ages ago!

Basically modify the needlewheel impeller to be a piece of mesh product, kind of like steel wool. Creates TONS more bubbles.

The mesh mod is on my "To-Do" list Ostrow, but unfortunately its taking a back seat to flowrate, prepping for a fragswap, and a little sump cleaning

Most reactions

Back