Skimmer question

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have used a skimmer in my tank that contains 2 rainbow darters and 1 blue spotted sunfish.
I read that skimmers help with the film on top of the water. My current one is a little different than the one before.
Question- should the water intake top be above or below the water. It's making a irritating slurping sound 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
This is my current skimmer.

Attachments

• IMG_0417.png
    IMG_0417.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 19
The water normally goes through the slits around the top and if they clog up, the water flows over the top.

If it's making a lot of noise, it is air going down the pipe. You can try using a bigger water pump and see if that helps, or sometimes reducing the water flow can help. They all make some noise but it's the air going down the drain that causes it.

I just added a couple skimmers for the same reasons... this is the ones I've bought so far...

mine also made too much noise when I 1st installed it... I found by lowering it in the tank more, & letting the floating head move up higher on the body of the skimmer, that I can make it completely quiet... I'm putting mine on a power strip, with a switch, so I can turn it off while feeding, so "it" doesn't eat all the food before it sinks, or gets ate

Last edited:
The water normally goes through the slits around the top and if they clog up, the water flows over the top.

If it's making a lot of noise, it is air going down the pipe. You can try using a bigger water pump and see if that helps, or sometimes reducing the water flow can help. They all make some noise but it's the air going down the drain that causes it.
Thanks

Most reactions

Back