Skifletch's Mantis Nano (minus The Mantis)

SkiFletch

Professor Beaker
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, long promised, SkiFletch goes nano. Or in this case, close to Pico :D. This will start my 5.5g mantis nano diary. Courtesy of a few videos and accounts of keeping Mantis Shrimp, I figured I have to have one. My longterm goals for this tank obviously include a Mantis Shrimp, prefferably a Gonadactylus Smithii species along with some corals and perhaps a big Mexican Turbo Snail (which the mantis may decide he'd like for a meal). The real challenges to the project will be #1, FINDING a Gonadactylus Smithii (or other similarly sized smasher mantis), and #2 keeping the tank clean. I plan to run my old seaclone skimmer on the sump, as well as a small HOB with rowaphos to keep phosphates down in either the sump or display depending on how much flow I feel I need. My research indicates that controlling nuisance algae in mantis nanos is difficult because they often hide uneaten food. Be that as it may, on to tank construction and pics :D

First up, the tools for the operation. A Dremmel rotary tool with routing head, a diamond cutting bit, some silicone, and of course a bulkhead fitting. Not pictured is the bare un-marred 5.5g tank, but its just a standard tank, so use your imagination ;)

12-30-06NanoConstruction004.jpg

Using these tools, I cut a hole with the cutter and installed the bulkhead. Upon tightening the bulkhead, the glass cracked (which I've come to learn happens a lot with thin glass on small tanks) and split from the bulkhead up to the top. Shouldnt much matter cause that part of the tank will never see water, but oh well, you'll see the crack in later pictures. Here's the tank with the bulkhead installed:

12-30-06NanoConstruction003.jpg

After bulkhead installation, time to make and install the weir. Here you'll see where the glass was cracked (I siliconed it up just to be sure ;))

12-30-06NanoConstruction007.jpg

After weir install, time to do the rest of the "business end" of the overflow and install the T fitting with the top having a little hole drilled through it to allow air in and stop gurgling sounds. Here's a closeup and a FTS of the weir and external hardware installed. The bottle of Vodka is left over from last night :D

12-30-06NanoConstruction010.jpg

12-30-06NanoConstruction009.jpg

And last step for the weekend, the back is painted black and the tank is otherwise ready.

12-30-06NanoConstruction011.jpg

Next step, install tubing and fix the sump to the tank. That pretty much wont happen for another week or so since I'm going on vacation on wednesday after the new year. In the meantime, hope all of you enjoy the pics and have a happy new year :D

i went down to thatfishplace a couple days ago and they had a mantis shrimp, they look amazing. What size sump are you going to use?

sump is going to be a measely 2.5g that I've allready got made :D

Goin to south florida in the suburbs between Ft Lauderdale and Miami to visit the fam. Gonna do some paintball, beach bummin, and a lot of SCUBA diving with my uncle, cant wait :D

cant wait to see this one develop, if our marine tank stops trying to destroy our house i might try something similar

Good to see you starting a new project hope it all goes well. Got to say that bulkhead made me smile it's huge compared to the tank. :)

Lol, yeah it is. We had a whole mess of them at work though so free always works for me :D.

ha ha i noticed that too..... does the vodka help concentration? ;)

cant wait to see this one develop, if our marine tank stops trying to destroy our house i might try something similar

**ahem**

so you know when i keep saying i want a new tank for some microrasbora galaxy and you say no we're not setting up any more tanks ...............??? :sly:

Most reactions

Back