Size Of Shoals?

toffeenose_uk

Reaction score
Hi all, got ma 64L tank cycled 6weeks ago and started with 4 zebra danios. Then a fortnight later added 3 Black Phantoms. I reckon my tank is good for 18 small fish of that size (1.5") and testing the water, its looking really good. I worked on the rigs, so was very happy when i got back thursday and checked water to find it in really good contition....ammonia 0.1, nitrite 0 and nitrate 7ppm.

Anyway, looks like im ready for a few more fish. I was thinking of some cardinal tetras, would 6 be sufficient? I know tetras of that kind should be kept in a wee shoal, but as should the other two breeds i have. Is it unfair to only have 4 zebra danios and 3 black phantoms. Should these breeds be increased in numbers to say 6? Basically, what im asking, what would be the min number of zebra danios, black phatoms and cardinal tetras you would stock. Basically, im limited to 18 so 3 x 6 of the 3 species named? I would ideally like to have a few less fish that 18, as im away 2weeks at a time, and during that time my mrs wont do much else other than feed them. Should I maybe lower my max number to say 14 as result?

Final question, i would like one solitary fish which would enjoy lunching on the slight build up of algae that creeps up over 2 weeks. Ideally small and compatible with the 3 species, or maye a shrimp?

Thanks Peoiple

Ricky

What are the dimensions of the tank? Danios really should be in a 4ft+ long tank. They're very quick and need a good length of tank.

I consider 6 to be an absolute minimum for a shoal or school because that is the number where I feel that fish go from "1", "2", "3", etc., to "many".
10-15 is a realistic minimum, and I feel that this is the number which should be used by anyone who is clued up about the fact that some species are shoaling.

As mentioned above, I don't know of any 64 litre tank which is big enough for danios.

Also as mentioned above, dimensions are important for any stocking suggestions. Also, I would want to know the water hardness and pH.

The maximum number of fish depends on the species, tank set-up, dimensions, and so on. If you have only 4 fish right now, you will not be able to have 14 or 18 fish in two weeks without a mini-cycle, for which there is no excuse, in other words, you need to stock slowly.

What is the type of algae that you are seeing? Different animals eat different algae.

not sure on the algae, its not really bad, just a brownish colour... As for the danios,i had no idea they had to be i tank that size, think ma tank is 60cm at its longest...hmmmm, they seem happy enough. I have never tested the water for harness as its suppose to be soft enough. I buffer the water with some coral sand in my filter, ph has risen a bit to 7.7 as my carbon dioxide isnt working just at the minute. Ok, so 6 min for the cardinal tetras...

not sure on the algae, its not really bad, just a brownish colour... As for the danios,i had no idea they had to be i tank that size, think ma tank is 60cm at its longest...hmmmm, they seem happy enough. I have never tested the water for harness as its suppose to be soft enough. I buffer the water with some coral sand in my filter, ph has risen a bit to 7.7 as my carbon dioxide isnt working just at the minute. Ok, so 6 min for the cardinal tetras... i have 7 fish in total, 4 zebra danios and 3 black phantoms. think my tank could handle another 6 cardinal tetras

What are the dimensions of the tank? Danios really should be in a 4ft+ long tank. They're very quick and need a good length of tank.

SERIOUSLY! 4ft+ long tank for Danios.

I mean seriously. I'm sorry but that is just LOL.

There's a lot of good advice on here but that is just, well...

I really think you should research fish prior to making statements such as this.

Erm, yes. SERIOUSLY. I wholeheartedly agree with Micko's advice. If you were to wear a pair of boots chained together, that restricted your stride length, you would still live a good long life. But you'd hate not being able to run.

Same with Zebra/Leopard/Albino and Giant Danios, they like to zzzzoooooom around, and restricting the tanks size is to restrict their freedom. Not so for Celestial Pearl Danios, though.

well its bigger than the tank they were in, in the fish shop! i hope you are all dont buy salmon from the supermarkets. They too are kept in cages and farm fed which is why they can be produced so cheap...even worse than that, there existence in the coastal water is to the detriment of wild salmon...anyway, point is, if I had known i wouldnt have bought them, but now I have, im keeping them, they are perfectly happy, so I dont see how you can harp on about not being happy cos they cant run!!! Stop humaninsing fish!!!!

well its bigger than the tank they were in, in the fish shop! i hope you are all dont buy salmon from the supermarkets. They too are kept in cages and farm fed which is why they can be produced so cheap...even worse than that, there existence in the coastal water is to the detriment of wild salmon...anyway, point is, if I had known i wouldnt have bought them, but now I have, im keeping them, they are perfectly happy, so I dont see how you can harp on about not being happy cos they cant run!!! Stop humaninsing fish!!!!

While i agree with you that some people really can go over the top with "suitable aquarium space" for fish, in this case the other posters are quite correct to inform you that a fair bit more is required for the danios that you have.

Since you must be closely related to Dr Dolittle and are capable to communicating with your fish (how else would you know that they are happy) i guess its best you discuss your stocking with them rather than the combined experience of this forum, as we are obviously wasted on you.

Good luck.

So, on the one hand you say that I'm wrong about your Danios being unhappy, and yet on the other hand, if you'd known that they needed more space, you wouldn't have bought them. These two statements seem a little contradictory to me, but hey ho.

Ultimately, it's your aquarium, and therefore your choice. It's also your choice whether to take the advice you receive via this forum or to ignore it. I stand by the advice which I and others have given. Whichever route you choose, I wish you luck.

tizer, im merely making the point that now I have them, what do you expect me to do with them? If you want to take your point further, should we keep fish in tanks at all? Ok so 4ft tank is better than a 2ft tank, but wouldnt a lake or a river be even better still.? And anyway, i would throw the dr Dolittle statement back at you, how do you "KNOW" the fish are happier in a 4ft tank rather than a 2ft tank. I know my fish are happy, cos they eat everything, have no illness (having read a book on fish health cover to cover) and they come alive/buzz around the tank when I come near it. I think far more important than this magical extra 2ft you want is the water quality, which im pround to say is very good. So no more snidey remarks please

lock man, it may sound contradictory, but I can see the point that a bigger tank would be better for them. Il give you that, but I still maintain my fish are not unhappy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Im sure no one on here has ever made a mistake re fish keeping. If this is the only one I make then im happy with that.

tizer, im merely making the point that now I have them, what do you expect me to do with them? If you want to take your point further, should we keep fish in tanks at all? Ok so 4ft tank is better than a 2ft tank, but wouldnt a lake or a river be even better still.? And anyway, i would throw the dr Dolittle statement back at you, how do you "KNOW" the fish are happier in a 4ft tank rather than a 2ft tank. I know my fish are happy, cos they eat everything, have no illness (having read a book on fish health cover to cover) and they come alive/buzz around the tank when I come near it. I think far more important than this magical extra 2ft you want is the water quality, which im pround to say is very good. So no more snidey remarks please

lock man, it may sound contradictory, but I can see the point that a bigger tank would be better for them. Il give you that, but I still maintain my fish are not unhappy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Im sure no one on here has ever made a mistake re fish keeping. If this is the only one I make then im happy with that.

The reason they need a 4 ft. Tank is because they can go from one side to the other in one second. They might seem happy while you watch them but your not sure what they are doing when your not there.

So, hold on, you ask for advice and when you don't get the answer you want you tell people they are "harping on"
Why ask when you seem to know all after reading one book? One book is like a drop in the ocean, one authors perspective, which may, or may not be accurate. All fish will eat and swim, sometimes even sick fish will, does that make them healthy and happy? I somehow doubt it.
Since it seems very clear that your the fountain of all knowledge, don't come crying to me when your fish aren't doing so well you stuck up #71###ing idiot.

You have a number of options:-

1) Take the danios back to the LFS, and get something that is more suited to the size of tank available.
2) Get a bigger tank.
3) Take the point on board, keep what you have, but not get any more.
4) Ignore the point and buy a load more.

There may be others that I haven't thought of. I'm not trying to prescribe to you any course of action, merely trying to give you any relevant piece of information, so that you can make the best decision that suits you.

tizer, im merely making the point that now I have them, what do you expect me to do with them?

Well, if it were me, the next time i was visiting the local fish shop, i'd return them and say "i'm ever so sorry, i've been a complete prat and not researched this fish correctly before purchasing it, would you mind if i returned them to you? I'd like to pick something else that i know will be more suitable in my tank?".

....and guess what, i've done exactly that in the past and i really dont mind admitting it. We all learn by our mistakes, it just depends if you act on them (or not).

:rolleyes:

Sorry if you feel like a bit of a target for abuse, i can see others have jumped on the band wagon, but you kinda painted the target on your own back with the 'im keeping them lar-de-dar' comment.

People on here only want whats best for your fish, not everyone has the perfect answer, you just have to take it all in, make your own choices, but dont throw it back in peoples faces in a childish manner.

More than happy to help you, like everyone else, but if you just want to be dismissive, im out, thanks for all the pies and Merry Christmas. :)

Most reactions

Back