Siphoning problems

Keilso

Reaction score
Just filled my first tank (400 litres) with water, to make sure there was no leaks.

However, I encountered problems attempting to remove / siphon the water back out.

I used a JBL inlet pipe connected to a 9 meter hose, which was run to my kitchen sink, when I then suck on the hose, the water in the hose reaches to my sink (at floor level) but I am unable to get the water to travel the last few feet to the sink.

Any idea what I am doing wrong.

The end of the hose has to be below the tank end of the hose, it has to be on the floor.

The end of the hose has to be below the tank end of the hose, it has to be on the floor.
Yea, I thought that too but I have watched a few you tube videos, where guys have run hoses to their kitchen sinks, clamping the hose to the kitchen tap and sucking on the hose.

Yea, I thought that too but I have watched a few you tube videos, where guys have run hoses to their kitchen sinks, clamping the hose to the kitchen tap and sucking on the hose.
The greater the diameter of the hose the greater the pressure therefore you can get the water to run up hill but the end of the hose still has to be below the tank end

Could I use a pump with suction cups, attached half way down the inside of the tank to remove 50% of the tanks water to the kitchen sink.

Could I use a pump with suction cups, attached half way down the inside of the tank to remove 50% of the tanks water to the kitchen sink.
There is no reason why you cant use a water pump. I have used a small pond pump to empty tanks at floor level. You can buy them for next to nothing.

That's exactly how I do it - except its into the garden (unless the garden is already flooded)

I think technically, the determining point is the highest point of the hose on the tank side, with more gravity impacted water volume in the side of hose that's travelling to the sink. Water can even lift straight up to a point on the tank side, well above the tank, as long as gravity is forcing enough water volume downward on the other side. So on the tank side, if you lift the hose higher off the edge of the tank once it's begun, to a point where it's higher than the sink, it should work.

You also shouldn't need to suck on the hose to start the drain either if he could start the process off with enough water in the hose/pipe on the tank side.

Most reactions

Back