Singing Catfish Has Distended Belly? Help

frodo_thefgreat

Reaction score
CAN SOMEONE HELP I WAS LOOKING IN MY TANK THE OTHER DAY TO FIND THAT WHILST FEEDING MY SINGING CATFISH SEEMS TO HAVE A DISTENDED BELLY, I DOES ADMITTADLY LOOK HEALTHY IN ALL OTHER WAYS ITS EATING AND SWIMMING AROUND. COULD THIS BE A CASE OF BLAOT OR COULD IT BE PREGNANT? :unsure:

I ALSO HAVE ANOUTHER PROBLEM AT THE MOMENT BEING 1 AFRICAN CLAWED FROG! HE SEEMS TO BE PICKING FISH OFF WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT AT NIGHTIS THERE ANYWAY TO STOP THIS? OR IS THIS JUST A FROGGY THING FOR HIM TO DO?

THANKS FOR READING AND ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APRECIATED!!!

ANGIE

Size of tank in gallons or lites.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
What do you feed your fish.
I would move the frog out of the tank if he's picking fish off.

How bloated is the plec, are his scales sticking out.
Try some peas.
Epson salt baths help draw the fluids out.

Size of tank in gallons or lites. dont know gallons but its a 2ft by 1 1?2 feet but 1 foot size
How many fish and which type. 3 tetra black widows 5 zebra things i forget there right nambe but same size as xl neons 1 common plec 1 kissing gourami 1 3 spotted gouramie 2 shrimp xl baboons 4 plates and the said catfish.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
What do you feed your fish. aquarium fish food blood worm and spinach
I would move the frog out of the tank if he's picking fish off.

How bloated is the plec, are his scales sticking out. scales are not sticking out but he was flat now he looks pregnant that kind of bulge.
Try some peas.
Epson salt baths help draw the fluids out. will get some of them not sure about the peas ifi feed them spinach as well?? :S

heya i aint heard of a sininging catfish but i have talking catfish if its the one i think of dont worry they are known for getting obese such as rapheal catfish or spotted dora

heya i aint heard of a sininging catfish but i have talking catfish if its the one i think of dont worry they are known for getting obese such as rapheal catfish or spotted dora

Exactly what i was gonna say :rolleyes:

If it is a species of talking catfish then don't worry, A few years back when i brought my first one i rushed out and brought some treatment recommended for dropsy but noticed the bulge had gone down on my return,
Quite simply talking catfish are greedy little things that will eat as much as they can then go and sleep it off for a week in a dark cave :hyper:

Oh and the frog needs it own tank or your going to be giving it a Lot of live food,
African clawed frogs get to 6 inches so the majority of your fish will be seen as food sooner or later

Your tanks sounds abit overstocked to me.
I would take a sample of your tank water to the lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you.

Most reactions

Back