Silversun Metal Halides

Jonny967

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Does anyone know it Silversun metal halides are any good? thinking of buying one but just a bit worried about spare parts as there is not much on the internet about them?

Erm....

50/50 one these. I have a had a 250w one. It was ok for a while. The bulbs you get with them are good enough to go straight in the bin. They stink like burning. The ballasts fail quite early and go noisey quickly. Mine concked out a few months ago.
The T5s were good though. The actual unit isnt bvad either, just you get what you pay for imo.

Also the ebay seller that flogs these has a terrible after sales rep and a really bad attitude.

I have got an aqua one halide now. Fairly cheap as they arent really considered when buying halides. Reflector seems very good. Ballast is seperate from the unit making the light itself very light for hanging. Fantastic looking and very neat. Came with legs or wires. Time built in. Cant knock it tbh. silent aswel

Where did you get your aqua one halide from?, i have been looking on aquarist classified there is a 4ft arcadia series 2 2x250W but its a big numb looking thing. I did have a arcadia series 4 but got a good offer and sold it to fund buying a 50" TV it was a good idea at the time but tank has gone down hill since then. Currently using 4x54W T5's 2xwhite 2xblue, they are not bad but can't beat a halide for the Nem's i also prefer an open top tank. Don't really want to be spending a small fortune again and don't think it would go down well with the Mrs :crazy:

I generally say avoid Arcadia halides, the number of prople I've had to talk though replacing ballasts, ignitors, lamp holders e.t.c on another forum is un-real. Seriously unreliable bits of kit...

AquaOne halides are up on Ebay quite a bit, actually, there is a well priced 3ft, 250W modle on there ATM, that I thought about earlier this week, before a requirement on the new tanks spec made me say, "right, another LED rig it is then"...

All the best
Rabbut

The silver soon i am looking at is up for £165 its got 2x150W halides and two T5's with i think a couple of spots and is 4ft long. My tank is a 5ft 400 litre rio what do you think i should do? would 150W be ok or do i need 250W?

If it were me, I'd be looking at a twin 250W Aquaone, AquaMedia or Deltec halide unit for it :good:

Most reactions

Back