Silver Shark

I wouldn't recommend as my 8 are in a 6x2x2 and they are around 8" (without tails) and only just about look comfortable for swimming room.

I seriously think that once they are all full grown they will need something bigger (8x3). These fish swim fast and liek to burst from end to end quite a lot (especially when playing after food). I had them orignally in a 6x1.5x1.5 when there was only 4 and they didn't react well with each other and looking at the tank now, it is nowhere near big enough for the largest one to actively swim.

Throw in just how skittish the fish are and you haev a fish that really deserves a larger aquarium.

I feel sorry for that bala...For full grown balas I would recommend nothing less than 6x2x2. you need a group, and IME 3 is not large enough. I would say 5 minimum, the more you add, the better the fish behave and the more calm they become.

I have seen first hand the curved spines (vertebrae) of fish kept in too small conditions forcing them to be constantly curled. It is not nice. A 3 foot tank is nowhere near large enough for balas.

Im sorry, but I do not believe that a group of even 5 silver sharks cant live in a tank less than 6x2x2.

Ginge, this statement that you said, "they grow to 13" full stop no argument" just isn't true since I have seen many silver sharks that have grown in large tanks and have not got bigger that 8-10in, and thats over 6 years. And I know that silver sharks become stunted when in too smaller tank, because thats what I was saying in the post earlyer.

Cheers
Alex

But you implied stunting is a good thing because it stops the fish growing larger so they are happier in a small tank. 6 years will probbly not see them full grown. CFC had some around the foot mark IIRC in his 200 gallon.

My observations on the fish is from owning them at the 8" size. The get a little over one good burst of the fins and tail and then have to start slowing down to turn and shoot back, they do not have the room to really fly around the tank like I expect they would if in an 8x3 tank.

This is not about shark numbers, it's about having enough room for a shark (a very fast swimming and large bodied fish) to actually swim like it would in the wild. Everyone says danios need large tanks to allow them to swim as they are a fast swimming species, why is it so strange that the silver shark have similar requirements?

The silver shark is a fish that gets to a large size in both length and depth and likes to swim fast around the tank every so often. Anything less than a 6x2x2 will not allow a foot long fish to swim and turn without having to come to a near stop. I would not be surprised if in an 8x3 they do complete circuits hcasing each other for some time.

Can anyone one tell me I have one sliver shark a few mollies two plecs and a neon will they be ok in a three foot tank and can I add more fish if I can which ones shall I get. Can some one reply if this forum thing works

Can anyone one tell me I have one sliver shark a few mollies two plecs and a neon will they be ok in a three foot tank and can I add more fish if I can which ones shall I get. Can some one reply if this forum thing works

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

It's best if you start your own thread as it gets noticed more :)

To answer your question, no your tank's too small for the fush you've got, let alone more.

As mentioned in the thread above, silver sharks can get to 14" long; my mum has some, but they're in a 6' x 2' x 2'. They are quite a skittish fish that should be kept in a group; yours isn't going to be very happy I'm afraid.

Some plecs can grow very big too.

My best advice would be post some pics of the plecs so we can identify them for you and then re-house the shark (and possibly the plecs too, depending on species).

Then you can get more neon tetras (they do better in a shoal) and maybe some other fish.

How long has your tank been set up, by the way? Was it cycled?

People on here only seem harsh because they care about these fish, and what you are doing is hurting them.

I made a LOT of mistakes starting out 5 years ago.

I tried to take care of a singular elephant nose and a dragon goby (brackish fish) because I thought I could do it. Noooooope

My current tank is 125 gallons, and I feel almost like I'm close to crowding my planted tank with just these

1x Syno. Angelicus
1x Syno. Granulosus x ocifiller
1x Angel Fish
5x Roseline Shark (barb)
1x Blue Phantom Pleco
1x Tiger pleco

A max of probably 68 inches of community fish and it seems super active to me. Will I add more? Of course, I love fish but I love my fish too.

I'm goingto make sure they are happy, not that I am happy because I am pretty.

A bala shark will NOT be happy alone, and a shoal will not be happy in your tank.
Your puffer will not be happy in your tank.

While you may have fund's issues or whatever, you need to rethink your stocking and you need to rethink your plans, or get more tanks.

The plecs I have are ancistrus I have been told they grow to 6 to 8 Inch

the plecs I have are ancistrus I have two of them I have been told they grow 6 to 8 inch

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

It's best if you start your own thread as it gets noticed more :)

To answer your question, no your tank's too small for the fush you've got, let alone more.

As mentioned in the thread above, silver sharks can get to 14" long; my mum has some, but they're in a 6' x 2' x 2'. They are quite s kittisg fish that should be kept in a group; oyu'r isn't going to be very happy I'm afraid.

Some plecs can grow very big too.

My best advice would be post some pics of the plecs so we can identify them for you and then re-house the shark (and possibly the plecs too, depending on species).

Then you can get more neon tetras (they do better in a shoal) and maybe some other fish.

How long has your tank been set up, by the way? Was it cycled?

There are millions of plecs in the world, and there is a chance you have an ancistrus which only grows to the size you were told. However, without a picture to see it we can only make an educated (and unreliable) guess at which plec you have. If you do indeed only have on that gets that size it is still a 'small' tank to keep them in. Plecs are big fish, with a big bulk of a body to move about with them, and they are ample poop machines, so larger tanks are required with good filtration to keep the water right for all the occupants of your tank. Just the other month i was sold a plec in a 'reputable' LFS, and sold him as an Orange Spot Plec that apparently only grows to 8-9". Upon getting him home and watching him grow it became very apparent that they were wrong and have sold me a potential 22" Sailfin Plec. So to be sure if you could get some pictures of your plec and post them on the forum we can double check for you to put you at ease.

Remember, we are here to offer advice on whats best for the fish, and guide the owners along their journey to knowing what is right/wrong within the hobby. Too many people are oblivious to the implications on the fish if they ignore general stocking ideas within the hobby. So take what advice people offer on here and do what you will with it, but we are not here to 'have a dig' at you, and only want whats best for you and your fishes long term.

When this thread was created back in 2006 the OP showed clear signs of complete and utter disregard to his fish and their requirements. And was adamant his principles of keeping his fish in the size tank he did was 'fine', when we all know it isnt. Its a shame he took that stance, but it shows how some people see the hobby and their fish. For the record, keeping a single silver shark in the size tank you are is not ideal. I would suggest rehoming him somewhere he can grow properly and swim about properly. They are big fish, no question about it, and prefere the company of their own. So do whats right for your fish, and your tank. There are millions of possibilities to stock your tank with, and they will be far far more approriate for your tank, and your viewing pleasure.

Cheers,
James

No the shark will need to be rehomed....go to tropical chat click here.. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/1-tropical-discussion/

then start your own post stating again your questions,,,

Most reactions

Back