Silver Arowana Compatability

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I finally spotted an Ornate Bichir for sale today, but much to my dismay, it was only 4" and $60. Definitely drool-worthy, but.... I'll keep my eyes open, for now.

=) Thanks for the name, Fish-r-Fancy. I found their website - I'll call them tomorrow and see how it goes. If nothing else good comes from all this store-hunting, I've got a massive list of nicer fish stores in the tri-state region, hehe. That'll come in handy sometime, I'm sure.

And I thought Gars couldn't be kept with Arowanas cause they both rule the top of the water?

And I thought Gars couldn't be kept with Arowanas cause they both rule the top of the water?
your right it is risky but it can be done,as long as the fish are the right sizes and temperements.i would only try it if i had another big tank to seperate them if necessary.
just to add even the smallest gar species grows between 2 to 3 feet long so will need a 3ft wide tank long term

a 3ft gar needs a much bigger tank than a 3ft aro due to the fact an aro is much more flexable than a gar

a 3ft aro can turn around easy in a 2ft wide tank a gar cant

I finally spotted an Ornate Bichir for sale today, but much to my dismay, it was only 4" and $60. Definitely drool-worthy, but.... I'll keep my eyes open, for now.

=) Thanks for the name, Fish-r-Fancy. I found their website - I'll call them tomorrow and see how it goes. If nothing else good comes from all this store-hunting, I've got a massive list of nicer fish stores in the tri-state region, hehe. That'll come in handy sometime, I'm sure.

Haven't been in there in a while, so I don't know if they'll still have any or if it was some kinda sale or something because that's not the usual one I go to, but good luck! Also if not in Rhode Island, wont they have to ship the fish to you? That can cost around $40, that's what it would have cost me to have 3 dwarf cichlids shipped to me on ebay, so you may be better off just buying one that doesn't need to be shipped. Anyway good luck!

stingrays and arowanas are considered excellent tankmates, but you'll need more than 125 gallons to house either of them.

:good: I bought a Polypterus Senegalus and he's so darn cute, I can hardly stand it. Honestly, I want to just feed him an endless supply of bloodworms cause he's so adorable as he shuffles around on the ground, snuffling, and then lunge/slurps it up. :blush:
Haha, but he has a bit of growing to do. Woohoo, 4"! But yay, no paying shipping. xD

I've also placed a hold on some gold & turquoise severums, so we'll be raising those guys up, and hopefully, they'll all get along smashingly... once they're the right sizes.

And ahhh, thanks Cane & T1KARMANN. That's interesting - they've got those thick ganoid(sp?) scales, right?

well ive been with my arowana for about 3 years and its in a 200g tank that was specially made for it till it needed more space to grow,and mostly the compatebilities with arowanas are some large plecos but if u want to add plecos make sure u dont buy anything like some large oscars or very aggressive cichlids because they are smart enough to know how to flip a pleco over and eat the soft under bellies of any plecos,so be warned.right now we are currently cycling a larger tank for my arowana.the other fishes that can be kept with the arowana are some mildly aggressive fish like a puffer but only with caution sue to its toxics that can be release at will if frightened.

Most reactions

Back