Silencing air pumps

Bamf Comics

Reaction score
I've got a number running now so it's at that point. 5 of them that are side by side I just dropped a piece of plain fiberglass insulation, insulation side down directly on top and covered that with a plain towel. Any problem with the plan I haven't considered? They're in an out of the way location up high so no one should have to look at the lump.
If it's safe I'll build a fancy box for the one's in more public locations.

Attachments

• IMG_2738[1].JPG
    IMG_2738[1].JPG
    242 KB · Views: 38
I used closed cell foam… I was worried about the air pumps sucking in micro glass fibers from the insulation… would assume glass fibers introduced into the tank would be an irritant

Is the closed cell foam fireproof like the fiberglass insulation stuff? I don't mind buying stuff if it's better but the landlord's replacing the hot water heater in July anyway and the fiberglass was already here in the way. Whispers used to have a little prefilter that kept stuff out of the pumps while sucking air so I assume the current one's do although I haven't played with one to see yet.

Place on foil faced foam, foil side up. Make box, or use cardboard, line with cork tile. Elevate the box a small amount above the foil, pencils are thick enough. No more noise. Less than 10 bucks.

you should have heard the old 50's piston aquarium air pumps. no amount of insulation or towels would lower their volume.

I'm just using towels. Haha. I'm curious about suspending them with elastic though. I want to try to put them in a box with foam that seems the best option

If you cover up airpumps with material, they can heat up and melt or catch fire. *NB* Make sure they are not getting hot.

You can put them on a towel or sponge to reduce the noise but it comes down to the actual pump. Some pumps have thicker cases or insulated cases and these are quieter than the cheaper units with thin cases.

You can put the pumps in a different room and run airline to the tanks.

Crazy observation this morning, I opened the fridge half asleep to get a drink of water and all of a sudden I can hear the air pumps!!! I'd forgotten they were up there on top. I felt them just now and they're all very warm to the touch so I pulled the insulation off. I'll build a larger box and line it with something so it isn't touching the pumps themselves just to be safe.

I sit mine on towels which on the main makes it less noticeable

My big piston pump, is about 10 feet away from the aquariums ( actually I have several pumps, as not all the tanks are with my main group ) but the biggest noisiest pump, is up in the rafters, and sits on the foundation, I loosely boxed it in with closed cell foam ( notching touching the pump, as the big piston pumps get hot ) , and run to tanks through a 3/8 inch air line, where it goes into a 12 valve manifold, that drops it down to normal size air line… by having the pump on something solid like the foundation, it doesn’t transfer the vibration, and boxing in the rafters it sits between, with the foam ( nothing is within 6 inches of the pump ) I can’t hear the pump, over the bubble sounds from the tanks…

Noisiest thing we have is bubbles in the betta tank. I like the sound, reminds me the outside water features and is relaxing. No pump noise though except when Linda dusts. I swear by cork as a sound insulator. We used it in industrial situations to ease noise in production areas. I have it behind wallboard in the bedrooms.

Can usually 12 inch squares or small rolls at big box stores.

There are a few tricks I use to quiet airpumps. The first is to place them atop a piece of Poret foam which I get in sheets for filtration purposes. I use the poret because is it a semi0rigid foam and it hold up the pump from the small "legs." In some places and when the pump is small. I hang from the power chord. I have a couple set up this way for years with no issues. This will not work well with bigger pumps.

I never wabted air oumps on my bedroom tanks because of the noise. But I have had two there for some time. One hangs and the other sits on a foam pad. But the cheaper air pumps always get noisey sooner of later. However, in other rooms with multiple tanks and using air power I switched to using the better quality ones from Jehmco. I used to have 3 of the DAPM series but as I am downsizing I sold off one with a manifold. These pumps are relatively quiet but they are still diaphragm pumps so they vibrate. However, when I am working on thanks where I have I really do not hear any noise. But then I am not sleeping in those spaces.

I had two of the DAPMH15 (now only 1)and one of the DAPMH20. They are pricey but worth the money, IMO. I take one of the 15s with me when I sell at weekend events. I also bring a couple of smaller pumps as well JIK.

I hang small pumps in a sock with a binder clip. I use a little screw hook covered with a small piece of air line tubing.

I have a marina 50 right under my desk installed this way atm, and the fan of my laptop sounds louder. It's connected to a Hygger Single Sponge Filter.

Aquarium Single Sponge Filter
61yP7yk+MyL._AC_SL1264_.jpg

And.. These are the most silent air powered filters I have ever seen. It has a very pleasant smooth bubbling sound.

They're on a towel. I'll be adding at least one more big one and maybe 3 big ones so I'll have to size the box accordingly. Still waiting on tanks to arrive for the stand so no need for the additional 3 pumps yet. I did get the new lighting hung this morning so at least somethings working nicely now.

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2740.JPG
    IMG_2740.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2739.JPG
    IMG_2739.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 17

Most reactions

Back