-sigh- So Fantastical...

Annalina

Reaction score
Well dropsy got most of my females. Noticed two weren't eating last night and they're usually the most competitive ones...and now a 3rd isn't moving around to much..and a 4th >< so I moved the 2 that are still looking ok and I'm going to try to medicate the 4 that I left in the 10gal... And I know it's dropsy 'cause when I look at them from the top down they're way bloated and pineconing -sigh- and Here I thought they were just eating to much... :sad:
Well if this doesn't work with them (I have my doubts dropsy is bad stuff) how should I go about sterilizing the tank? I think I'm going to give females up for now and try corycats or whatever catches my fancy...though I'll probably see some females and buy them -_-
PS the med's I'm going to use is Maracyn-Two

perhaps post in the emergency section, wilder is good with things like this. ive heard of using epsom salt in a bucket of tank water, put the fish in for a min and the salt draws out the fluid but im not 100% on this(!!!!) so pop over and ask wilder maybe they can still be saved :)

First up, do a good size water change, making sure to do a good gravel vac.
Put about 2 tablespoons of dissolved epsom salt straight in to their 10gal tank (if they're the only fish in there). That will hopefully help with the bloating.
I would also go out and get some tetracycline meds. This med helps with internal infections which might be what caused your girls to develop dropsy to begin with. If they're still eating though, then a medicated bacterial food would be better.

First up, do a good size water change, making sure to do a good gravel vac.
Put about 2 tablespoons of dissolved epsom salt straight in to their 10gal tank (if they're the only fish in there). That will hopefully help with the bloating.
I would also go out and get some tetracycline meds. This med helps with internal infections which might be what caused your girls to develop dropsy to begin with. If they're still eating though, then a medicated bacterial food would be better.

They've stopped eating, so I'll go by PetCo tomorrow after school and see what they have >< I just can't make the 2 hour drive tonight ;-;
But I'll try that tomorrow after school, thanks

Tetracycline is a good bet.

If you are using maracyn 2 though, i'm not so sure it is a good idea to mix the meds considering both are antibiotics. You can, however, mix Maracyn 1 and 2. Treating appropriately should knock out anything bad in the tank.

Amunet is right on though. :)

Best of luck! Dropsy is horrible...

Ok quick reply before I head off to school. I'm going to check PetCo tonight after classes and see what they offer... but over night I lost one so 3 left >< I'll see how it goes when I get home. Thanks for the help and support. Bai bai for now.

Most reactions

Back