Sick Pregnant Platy

AquaQueen

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here. I just started my 10 gallon tank last Saturday. I got 3 plateys on Sunday. One male and two females. One of the females is pregnant. The fish have been doing great and seemed to be getting along wonderfully. I have been testing my water and the temp and all look great. I just noticed yesterday that my pregnant Platey is not acting right. I keep finding her just leaning in the plants. She keeps running into things too. The other fish have become aggressive towards her also. When I feed them, she does eat. The other two fish seem to have become best with each other. What is going on? Should I seperate her? I'm really worried. I thought she was dead today and when I put the net into get her she took off like a shot. Any thoughts?

Tracie

i have one thaught that seems to cross my mind perhaps it might be time to take a little trip down to the lfs (loacal fish shop) and buy yourself a breeding trap they cost between 2 and 5 and will seperate not only your pregnant fish from the other bullieing fish but her from any fry. im not shure but i think mine became a little lithargic before they gave birth have you had fry before?

Thanks for you quick reply. No, I have never had fry before. I guess tomorrow I will take a trip and get one of those contraptions. I really hope that is what is wrong with her. I have a very dense area of plants and that is where she is hideing out. I assume I should get another tank for the fry?

well it does help to have another tank for the fry to "swim out" in i hope thats whats wrong with her also if she is looking a little bit less colourfull than before then it is probably just because of the bullying it can stress the fish and she will probably b more prone to it during pregnancy due to the extra energies she is putting into the whole process. good luck and keep us posted and come back to see if anyone else has anything to add. :)

Most reactions

Back