Sick Molly?

Liz05

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My problems began when I added a new male betta to my 10 gallon tank. He adjusted well, except that he was bothered by another fish. I noticed something abnormal and white growing from his mouth. I immediately removed him from his tank, placed him into a separate tank, and began trying to find out what the problem was. I think it was a fungal infection. I bought a bottle of MelaFix, and treated his water with MelaFix and aquarium salt. Within two days, though, he was dead. I noticed no other sick fish in my tank, though i proceeded to add MelaFix to its water also. Now my black molly has small white patches on his body, which seem to be like ick, but he otherwise eats well and seems fine. I continue to treat the water with MelaFix and maintain a water temperature of 80-85 degrees. Some days these white patches disappear, other days they are there. I have never, ever, had a disease problem in a tank before. :no: Am I headed for disaster? What do I do?!

First, don't add medicine if your fishes are not sick.

What about water values? pH, GH? Mollies get easily ill if they are kept in wrong water. They need basic/hard water and sometimes even salt addition - specially if they have been breeded in the Far East/Asia.

I was told you cannot put aquarium salt with snails? Also told that salt was best mostly for goldfish.. In two years I've never tested ph/gh, never had a problem. The MelaFix supposedly is also a disease preventative, I don't want it spreading throughout my entire tank, if that is at all preventable... :(

Most reactions

Back